VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So What Constitutes Hypertension?

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

VA denied hypertension in my most recent claim based on this:

"The evidence does not show an event, disease or injury in service. Your service treatment records do not show a diagnosis of hypertension in service..."

Here are the BP readings in service I used:

140/90 02 December, 1976
120/90 04 March, 1981
154/90 11 January, 1982 (Retention Physical) -- States "Hypertension"
140/84 03 June, 1986
136/84 20 August, 1987
150/88 08 April, 1988
130/90 07 April, 1989
139/82 08 May, 1989
138/82 11 September, 1989
138/82 09 November, 1989
138/82 02 March, 1990
130/84 28 May, 1992 (Periodic Medical Exam)

VA denial also cites DBQ from my cardiologist stating HTN was diagnosed in 2013. My civilian records show I've had it for some time (but since I had the above record in service, it didn't occur to me to submit civilian records).

SO WHAT DOES THE VA CONSIDER "Hypertension"? I'm currently on medication, but even if I weren't, shouldn't the above numbers be worth a "zero" rating?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Please note that I don't know much about hypertension claims, but suffer from it. My private insurance company sent me a BP machine and instructed me to keep a daily BP diary. It turned out that the nurse I talked to about it happened to be a Veteran and was rated for hypertension. They said their diary helped tip the scales in their claim. I don't know if this is really true, but have kept a daily BP diary ever since.

Below is the official rating criteria. They could deny just on Note 1 by itself. If you kept a daily BP diary, it might help overcome that. There are plenty of fellow members here who are SC for hypertension and should be able to provide much more beneficial info than me.

DISEASES OF THE ARTERIES AND VEINS

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic
hypertension):
Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60
Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40
Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure
predominantly 200 or more 20
Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure
predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an
individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100
or more who requires continuous medication for control 10
Note 1: Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.
Note 2: Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.
Note 3: Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

Vync,

Thanks for the great info bud. My VA rep submitted for High Blood Pressure when I was medically retired last year. When I went to the C&P the doc looked at me and said "You are only 30, Tall and look fit to me" and that was that the VA denied the blood pressure. If I am reading the guidelines right, I should submit a claim for High Blood Pressure. I am always around 130 over 80, but I can not take blood pressure as to my Crohn's and I have had two blood transfusions. That's is why I am so dedicated to this site, is great Vets like you always keep the wheel of knowledge turning.

Snakeeyes, I would challenge the VA. If you read the Guidelines Vync has posted above, then you easily qualify for it.

Have you had your heart checked via echocardiogram? If the echo also reveals dialation of heart, can be 30% rating. I keep log of my BP readings, it is about 2 inchs thick. This was helpful in my claim. The fact you had high bp readigs while in service AND are taking medication for it makes your case stronger. BTW: Were you taking the HTN medication while in service?

Hamster Man

I am service connected for hypertension (high blood pressure), however at 0% because it is controlled by medicine. I did experience a relatively quick rise in my blood pressure while on active duty and was directed to see a doctor or be unfit for duty. Saw a doc and was put on meds. All in my records when I filed the claim for hypertension. Again, service connected at 0%...

And my blood pressure is great now,, with medication....

Hamslice