VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Understanding Which Smc For My Condition

Rate this topic

I am 100% SC for Diabetes with retinopathy and have applied for SMC for bilateral frozen shoulders that are caused by my Diabetes, my Diabetes physician has provided the nexus letter that is with my claim. I am trying to understand where I might end up in the SMC area, I have loss of use in both shoulders. Thanks for any information.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have vision problems secondary to DMII that should be worth an SMC of some degree. How does DMII cause frozen shoulder? I never heard of that but I am not a doctor. DMII causes so many secondary conditions including kidney, eye, heart, foot and nerve problems. There is probably a 20 item list of DMII secondary problems. You have loss of use of both arms? How do you get around? Do you need assistance eating, bathing, dressing etc? If you can't use your arms you should get the whole thing.

Thanks for the response, I have been type 1 for 30 years on insulin and frozen shoulder is a condition that is associated to diabetes, this doesn't seem to be well known but can be found in other BVA cases and diabetes magazines etc. I do have loss of use but can still dress, bath and eat, that's what I don't understand about the smc guidelines is that I can still do most things and have only lost range of motion in both arms and am unsure where that falls within the smc area.