VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase In Ptsd %

Rate this question

cdw9584

Question

I just received an increase in my disability ratings. I went from 10% for PTSD and 10% for TBI to an increase of 50% for PTSD and 40% for TBI but they are only counting my PTSD towards compensation. They claim the symptoms are to close so they are taking the higher % one. I am now at 80% overall with my other issues. I was told I should try to get my 50% increased to 70% for PTSD. Here are the ratings from my C & P exam..

Scale Raw

DSM 4 Criteria B is met

DSM IV Criteria C is met

DSM IV Criteria D is met

I looked at the C & P exam and it also shows I have a lot of the symptoms of the 70% criteria for PTSD. Can I write a letter asking them to reevalute my rating based on this? The service officer helping me with this says I should get a psychologist to right a nexus letter saying I fit the 70% criteria, not sure how to go about this. I feel weird walking into someone I don't know and say I want a higher rating.

The other part is how do I get them to separate out the PTSD from the TBI, if that was done I go to 90%.

Suggestions please

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I just received an increase in my disability ratings. I went from 10% for PTSD and 10% for TBI to an increase of 50% for PTSD and 40% for TBI but they are only counting my PTSD towards compensation. They claim the symptoms are to close so they are taking the higher % one. I am now at 80% overall with my other issues. I was told I should try to get my 50% increased to 70% for PTSD. Here are the ratings from my C & P exam..

Scale Raw

DSM 4 Criteria B is met

DSM IV Criteria C is met

DSM IV Criteria D is met

I looked at the C & P exam and it also shows I have a lot of the symptoms of the 70% criteria for PTSD. Can I write a letter asking them to reevalute my rating based on this? The service officer helping me with this says I should get a psychologist to right a nexus letter saying I fit the 70% criteria, not sure how to go about this. I feel weird walking into someone I don't know and say I want a higher rating.

The other part is how do I get them to separate out the PTSD from the TBI, if that was done I go to 90%.

Suggestions please

I do not think the above in red would equate to 90%.

There is a link to a calculator, for va purposes on the home page.

I have other issues that would bring me to the 90% if either the TBI is broken out or the PTSD is raised to 70%

Here are my rating currently

50% for the PTSD & TBI (VA not counting the 40% rating for TBI)

50% for sleep apnea secondary to the TBI

10% for tinnitus

10% for knee injury

totals 80%

If my PTSD rating goes to 70% or the TBI is broken out into a separate rating I am then moved to 90%

Edited by cdw9584

Congratulations on your increase.

Would need to know your symptomology to know if you rate higher. No way to understand based on numbers. I suffer fairly horrific symptoms from my PTSD. Rated at 100% for good reason. I don't leave my home alone. I pace from window to window looking as if I'm expecting something I don't even know what to happen any second. A phone call or the mail is always an anticipation of bad news. You don't want to be the father of the innocent child that forgot to put a straw in my bag. (Why I don't leave home alone). I watch my family go thorough the motions of celebration but I can't wait to retire to my room. I don't suffer from road rage, I'm the crazy s*b that would follow you home across state lines to have my say. Once my mind is locked into something it doesn't let go when I get enraged. I'm a very peaceful person, but that peace requires me to live on the out skirts of your world. Some days I feel like a million bucks, some days I don't. Hecht some days I can't remember what I was saying to you from minute to minute. If this is your world too or some other messed up set of warped beliefs you can't help doing. Couple that with total lack of sleep due to nightmares where the dead and dying become your children. If this is you too then a 70 to 100% for PTSD can be yours too! but I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Think hard about your push to prove PTSD for you will carry it the rest of your life. I never had to prove my PTSD I showed up and answered the questions. If you disagree appeal by explaining why. If they are wrong just say they appear to have been grossly neg. and you request an honest review. They don't like those words. PTSD is no badge of honor it is a personal trial you'll spend the rest of your messed up life dealing with.