VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thanks John999 And Pete53

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I WENT TO MY NEW DOCS FIRST SESSION THIS MORNING. IT WENT PRETTY WELL. HE IS SENDING ME TO ANOTHER DOCTOR FOR MEDS BECAUSE HE CAN`T PRESCRIBE THEM. I CAN`T SEE THAT DOC UNTIL MIDDLE OF OCTOBER. I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS NOD FOR UNEMPLOYABILITY PTSD FILED ASAP. I PROBABLY SHOULD WAIT UNTIL I GET MEDS PRESCRIBED RIGHT? HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT SEEING HIM WEEKLY TO ASK FOR A LETTER AND DIAGNOSIS. HE KNOWS I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PTSD BY 3 DOCTORS ALREADY.

CAVMAN

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavman:

It sounds like the Doc is sending you to Mental Hygine but I am guessing. Waiting a month for prescriptions that you need is not good in my opinion.

Its really pretty hard to get a VA Doc to write something that will help your claim but you can sure try.

Meanwhile you should get complete copies of your VA Medical Records and see what your diagnosis is.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I never heard of an MD that cannot prescribe meds. Perhaps this guy is not really a doctor but a psychologist or social worker. You need a doctor now who can prescribe. The VA is screening you and taking their sweet time to prescribe. Can you get a prescription outside the VA or from you private MD? Then when you go to your real doctor at the VA you can tell them you are on meds.

THIS IS A PSYCHOLOGIST I AM SEEING AND HE CANNOT PRESCRIBE MEDS FOR PTSD OR ANYTHING ELSE. HE IS SENDING ME TO A PSYCHIATRIST HE KNOWS TO SEE ME A COUPLE TIMES AND GIVE ME MEDS PRESCRIPTION. I CAN`T GET INTO THE PSYCHIATRIST UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF OCTOBER WHICH MEANS I DEFINATELY CAN`T SEND MY NOD 50% PTSD UNTIL THEN. MY QUESTION IS, WHEN SHOULD I ASK THE PSYCHOLOGIST FOR A LETTER OF DIAGNOSIS STATING I AM UNEMPLOYABLE. I HAVE NOT WORKED SINCE 2003. THERE ARE NO V.A. DOCTORS INVOLVED.

CAVMAN

You need to either talk your doctor into giving you copies or you can just submit a realease of information form to the VA form them to get them from your doctor. I was lucky, all of my stuff was done via the VA. You don't need to wait to submit either. You can always state that you having a appointment pending for meds and let them know you intend to submit additional supporting documentation via seperate correspondence. You may even call the 800-827-1000 and ask the person at your regional office what teh fax number is to your claim "triage" section.

If this doctor believes you should be on meds then all you need to do is talk to your primary dr. and tell him or her that this doctor believes you should be on something, Your primary doctor can put you on something like for example zoloft. You do not need to go to another shrink for them. I see an physcoligist , he can not prescribe med but he tells me what he thinks and I should be on and then I talked to my Dr. they turn around and communicate with each other ( the Dr.'s that is )