VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Senate Hearing On Va And 'adverse Events Info

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Yesterday's Senate VAC hearing is here:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files2/1418959.txt

and in this article:

http://www.veterans.senate.gov/hearings/the-state-of-va-health-care07162014

Acting Secretary Gibson said a lot we already know but this is new info:

"Illustrating the depths of the agency's woes, the VA's Office of Inspector General said Wednesday it is investigating possible wrongdoing at 87 VA medical facilities nationwide, up from 69 last month.

Then Gibson asked for Money....

"Despite its problems, Gibson said the VA can turn itself around "in as little as two years" if given additional resources by Congress. Gibson did not mention a compromise bill being considered by House and Senate negotiators, but the Obama administration has expressed support for a Senate bill approved last month authorizing $35 billion in new spending to build clinics, hire doctors and make it easier for veterans who can't get prompt appointments with VA doctors to get outside care.

Gibson said he supports increased access to outside care for veterans, but said he believes "the greatest risk to veterans over the immediate-to-long-term is that additional resources are provided only to support increased purchased care in the community and not to materially remedy the historic shortfall" for VA operations and facilities."

In my opinion the VA is fearful of outside care for veterans. Their VA med recs ,once transferred to a non VA medical facility, might reveal many medical problems VA isnt addressing properly.

July 17, 2014 5:00 am

"Veterans Affairs hospitals across the country reported more than 500 incidents last year where patients were gravely injured or died as a result of the care they "

http://freebeacon.com/issues/over-500-grievous-injuries-or-deaths-at-va-hospitals-in-2013/

Their FOIAs to get this info is similar to what I have sent to VBA and also to OMLA VA (Office of Medical- Legal VA)

The article also states:
"How many of the 575 “adverse events” reported last year resulted in patient deaths is unknown. It is also unclear how 2013 compared to previous years. The Free Beacon has filed another FOIA request seeking this information.

Even more alarming is how many patients or their survivors were even informed of these adverse events.

I have FOIAed VBA for Section 1151 award information to cover the last 20 years.And OMLA data on their reporting procedure to NPDB.

In my letter to Chairman Miller ( H VAC) I made this point and I stand by it, with the evidence I have so far ( and more yet to come) :

"While not all 1151 and FTCA VA issues involve a lack of timely diagnosis and proper care, my point is that no one really knows how many veterans the VA has harmed or killed with negligent VA health care. Section 1151 awards are not public nor reportable to the NPDB and severe malpractice payments to living veterans, as well as wrongful death settlements (ubnder FTCA) ,which should be reported to the NPDB, and are not reported , as in my case, and other cases per GAO reports......., alter the true malpractice statistics the VA holds to.

This practice and lack of true accurate accountability of documented VA negligence and malpractice, in my opinion, which VA administrators have knowledge of, has caused VA to become so reckless in it's ability to show concern over whether a veteran is getting timely appointments and proper treatment (such as in the Phoenix situation),that I believe the true actual numbers of veterans harmed or killed by VA health care itself,will be the only thing that can change the recklessness of the VA, and an utter lack of concern for the lives of the very men and women whose service justifies the existence of the Veterans Administration."

------I dont have much time for claims questions here these days....I.try to answer one or two at least...

I have prepared a War Plan similar to what I did for every VA claim I ever had and am using that format to investigate the true extent of negligence that VA doesn't want anyone to know.

It really isn't a plan of war, it is a plan of how I can gather the evidence I need.

FOIA is one of the best rights we have in this country.

Many VA FOIA offices are listed at the VA web site, for the best place to send FOIAs to,depending on what info you need.

And many FOIAs can be emailed these days.

Their records access officers emails are at VA too.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• In Memoriam

Berta,

Good points. I thought the same thing when Senator Hirono, started talking about records, the little sweetheart from hawaii. That is a big problem for the VA. So many things will be caught by a regular doctor the VA doctors didn't care about or were negligent.