VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Viewing C-file

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have an appointment to go see my C-File in a week. I bet my recent "lost" claim is in there among the other paperwork. I am going to pull it out and see what I can do to make them use that date as an effective date. I hand carried the same claim over to the VARO yesterday after much pondering and asking if it was worth it. I will probably regret even filing in a week or two when the VA pisses me off and tells me they lost it again. But I have proof now!!!!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have an appointment to go see my C-File in a week. I bet my recent "lost" claim is in there among the other paperwork. I am going to pull it out and see what I can do to make them use that date as an effective date. I hand carried the same claim over to the VARO yesterday after much pondering and asking if it was worth it. I will probably regret even filing in a week or two when the VA pisses me off and tells me they lost it again. But I have proof now!!!!

How long did it take to get your appt to see your C-file?

I'll be waiting a year or so to get a hard copy, and I didn't think of requesting to view it.

I'm glad I saw your post...

Hope that you find what your after.

Boondoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Boondoc

It took about a month to get the appointment to see my C-File. I like to find out at least that the VA can still find my file. They store them in a warehouse. All that stuff could burn. It is not on computer disk or tape as far as I know so I like to get copies. Can you believe that?

• HadIt.com Elder
How long did it take to get your appt to see your C-file?

I'll be waiting a year or so to get a hard copy, and I didn't think of requesting to view it.

I'm glad I saw your post...

Hope that you find what your after.

Boondoc

The VA has so many days to respond to an FOIA request. Something like 21 or 30. Six weeks is to long and a year is way too long. jmo

I think an appointment is a waste of time.

If you request a copy of the c file by mail you can peruse it carefully over a few days or more.

C files are very revealing and I think an appointment would not give a vet the proper amount of time to carefully assess it all.

If I went to my RO to see it- there is a very good chance that I would have missed alot in it-

it contained all of my 1995-1996-1997 evidence that they said they never got.

And VAMC- General Counsel documentation that supported my 1151 claim- yet that they said never occurred-I think I would have been so upset at seeing this during an appoinment, that I would have missed all the other stuff that I could take my time with at home- slowly reviewing the incredible amount of stuff that the VA said they never got, in order to deny my 1151 claim-even AFTER I won FTCA for wrongful death.

I was stunned to see what was in mine and still use evidence from my c file itself to support my claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

You can do both. Go see the file and then request a copy. One thing is that there might be another vet's records mixed in with yours or some gross error and if you claim is getting ready to be rated you can correct it. I went to see my file and found out the VA was getting ready to send it to the BVA when I had asked for a DRO. I was able to head that off by talking to them on the spot. They never told me this over the phone when I called about my status. This gives you a good opportunity to look your file over and talk to a human being about it. You can also get copies of certain documents on the spot so I have been told.