VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

? Smc's ?

Rate this question

roses15534

Question

If I have the following do I rate any SMC'S?

here is my breakdown as much as I can remember

20% residuals right shoulder

10% tinnitus

40% fibromyalgia

10% lipomas

20% lumbar spondylosis and degenerative disk disease

10% status post cholecystectomy with scars

10% right knee patellofemoral syndrome

10% left knee patellofemoral syndrome

50% anxiety disorder

20% chronic fatigue syndrome

10% keratoconus

30% gastritus claimed as heartburn with gerd, hiatal hernia and baret's esophagus

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I think the issue is this: are any of your conditions or medications causing a special circumstance in your life not covered by another rated issue? Also, there are several types of SMC. You would have to look at each one to see if your rated conditions are contributory to the SMC. For example, if you are taking medication for a service connected condition that causes ED, you could be rated for ED as a SMC, but not as a service connected condition. Others include aid and attendance, housebound, etc. Others may chime in, but I would go look at the types of SMC and see if you meet the requirements for any of them.

I receive SMC due to loss of a reproductive organ, as I had Testicular surgery due to an infection received in OEF. I have Crohn's Disease, 70% for PTSD, Both Knee, R Shoulder and DDD along with a whole in spine due to accident in OEF, also my Wife is paid by the VA to be my CareGivever, and I do not receive any SMCs for those conditions. Unless someone else has a piece of advice, I don't think that you qualify for any SMC bud.

• In Memoriam

To understand more about SMC see Asknod's Mr. Potato head presentation here at Hadit. i is a humorous way to understand SMC. it is really great.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is quite parsimonious when it comes to SMC. They often don't consider it, even when the law requires them to do so.

This can force a veteran to file a separate claim, an appeal, or even CUE.

The simplest way to qualify for SMC (in the VA's eyes) is to have a single condition rated at 100%, and another condition or conditions

independently rated at 60%.