VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Been Rated For Chiari I Malformation?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

HI Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been rated with Chari I Malformation? This is a neurological diagnosis. This is a hard diagnosis in the first place, but this is part of what I am waiting for. Any input would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Tamara :D

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I havn't heard of anyone rated for Chari.

The medical evidence needed for a rating would be undisputable though. Since the Chari malformation is a bulge on the brain stem it is diagnosed by CT scan or MRI so it is irrefutable proof.

Getting service connected would be another matter but very do-able. As much as I can remember off the top off my head, it is widely accepted that the malformation is defect that develops over time. However it often occurs for many after an accident that produced whiplash or or simular event. Like a motor vehicle accident.

I would think that SMR's would have to show complaints of symptoms and even more concrete an accident near the time symptoms developed. Especially since it can occur naturally in many people. Meaning VARO may claim it developed after service.

Just so you know, Chari malformation is often a misdiagnoses of brain sag due to a crainial-spinal fuid (CSF) leak. These are not uncommon in women and are VERY underdiagnosed. The main cause is lumbar puncture (spinal tap, spinal block for surgery or child birth). Accidents can also cause them. If the main symptom is severe headache Chari should be questioned. Surgery has been done to fix chari only to discover later that brain sag on the brainstem was causing the bulge.

The good news is that Chari can be fixed or helped by surgery.

Best I can do with what you've told us. Hope it helps.

Time

Hi Time,

Thanks for the info. I have Chiari I Malformation and it is where the brain (cerebellum) actually herniates downward into the spinal cord. Usually people who have surgery are at least 5mm below the base of skull. In my case mine was over 19mm. I do not have a shunt, but I have a titanium plate in the back of my head and a scar that is over 10" long (43 staples). I have tons of proof and a Dr. (the best in the nation) who wrote me a letter directly connecting it to the military from a car accident. I have been to many many drs. since the accident and kept almost 100% of all my records...this happened in 1987. I have been fighting with the VA's office and I finally came across a doctor who knew what I had and where it came from. I already had the surgery in Nov 2005 and feel better. This surgery is a fix and there is no CURE for Chiari. Believe me I would have already found it. I was heading for a wheel chair and the doctors were suprised that I got around on my own with the Chiari Malformation being so enormus (the word they used). I went to The Chiari Institute in NYC. They are the best of the best. And I will never stop the fight for this. Its only been 19 years why give up now??

If you want to watch videos by one of my dr.s about any info you ever wanted to know about Chiari check out their website at http://www.northshorelij.com/body.cfm?ID=6407 on the left is a link for videos. It is amazing how far research has come.

ps. If you want to see a picture of my MRI's before and after I have them, just let me know.

Thanks again for the reply, any info always helps.

I tried to find the rating codes that would be assignable but there isn't one specifacally for chari. I bet they assign this one.

8045 Brain disease due to trauma:

Purely neurological disabilities, such as hemiplegia,

epileptiform seizures, facial nerve paralysis, etc.,

following trauma to the brain, will be rated under the

diagnostic codes specifically dealing with such disabilities,

with citation of a hyphenated diagnostic code (e.g., 8045-

8207).

Purely subjective complaints such as headache, dizziness,

insomnia, etc., recognized as symptomatic of brain trauma,

will be rated 10 percent and no more under diagnostic code

9304. This 10 percent rating will not be combined with any

other rating for a disability due to brain trauma. Ratings in

excess of 10 percent for brain disease due to trauma under

diagnostic code 9304 are not assignable in the absence of a

diagnosis of multi-infarct dementia associated with brain

trauma.

It sounds like you shouldn't have any problems getting SC.

The main thing, since medical proof and SC shouldn't be a problem is making sure medical opinion clearly states your degree of disfunction and exactly what the disfunctions are. You may be rated under several codes so list every symptom you have. Don't assume the VA will read the med records and rate you accordingly. They won't.

Time

I tried to find the rating codes that would be assignable but there isn't one specifacally for chari. I bet they assign this one.

8045 Brain disease due to trauma:

Purely neurological disabilities, such as hemiplegia,

epileptiform seizures, facial nerve paralysis, etc.,

following trauma to the brain, will be rated under the

diagnostic codes specifically dealing with such disabilities,

with citation of a hyphenated diagnostic code (e.g., 8045-

8207).

Purely subjective complaints such as headache, dizziness,

insomnia, etc., recognized as symptomatic of brain trauma,

will be rated 10 percent and no more under diagnostic code

9304. This 10 percent rating will not be combined with any

other rating for a disability due to brain trauma. Ratings in

excess of 10 percent for brain disease due to trauma under

diagnostic code 9304 are not assignable in the absence of a

diagnosis of multi-infarct dementia associated with brain

trauma.

It sounds like you shouldn't have any problems getting SC.

The main thing, since medical proof and SC shouldn't be a problem is making sure medical opinion clearly states your degree of disfunction and exactly what the disfunctions are. You may be rated under several codes so list every symptom you have. Don't assume the VA will read the med records and rate you accordingly. They won't.

Time

Time,

Well I just called today and a decision has been made, BUT not authorized to be released yet. As far as I know it only went to this outside rating place as of the 11th of this month, but has been at the rating board since April 16. I was told multiple stories.

1. being that the overload of work and some files had to be out sourced.

2. I was at rating board then returned to doctors then returned to rating board.

In any case, I am hoping for the best. As long as I get SC to start off that is where I will begin. I will fight this til no end. I feel like crap on a daily basis and it is never the same. The last 2 days headaches have been bad, but I have to deal with the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue daily they are results of the Chiari along with numbness, face twitches, eyes drooping, double vision, floaters, memory loss, irritable, anxiety, depression, insomnia, I can go on for a while. Once this rating goes into effect, I will work on the rest. I was definately clear from all of my neurologists all of my symptons, but like you said don't ASSUME. I am just happy that a decision was made. I have been working on this for so long..I'm feeling drained. I am going back for my 1 year post op soon. (which is Nov 18) I can't believe that it has been close to a year since my surgery. Feels like last week.

Thanks so much for the info.

Tamara-are you an incountry Gulf War veteran? reason I ask-

I think the sand ants have affected GWveterans- as well as the pesticides they used to kill them and all the other crap in the sand.

Unfortunately the studies dont agree with me at all- but I think GW vets exposure to rats, other rodents, and all sorts of sand fleas and critters and the insecticide and other stuff they used to kill them off had to affect service men and women in the Gulf War.

I think it is all another Agent Orange situation.

The Chairi condition is bad enough veteran but I noticed how similiar some of your symptoms were to Gulf War veterans.

I couldnt find a single claim at the BVA for this condition but there are other medical terms for it too and as

Time found the regs, they can certainly rate it under those codes he mentioned.

I certainly hope this claim goes well for you.You deal with enough as it is.

Tamara,

Yep, ready to rate claims are sometimes sent to regions that are less busy to be rated. There's a word for it that I can't think of just now.

Sounds like you'll be getting a decision soon. I hope it's fair to you.

Like you said, SC is the important thing first off. Unfortunatley, you may be correct to be ready for a fight for %.

Do you have claims open for the headaches (migrains) and depression? Anyway, I'm thinking ahead. I'm on pins and needles to hear your decision. My symptoms are axactly the same as yours for the most part. And yep, I could go on naming more too.

Hoping the best for you,

Time