VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Been Rated For Chiari I Malformation?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

HI Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been rated with Chari I Malformation? This is a neurological diagnosis. This is a hard diagnosis in the first place, but this is part of what I am waiting for. Any input would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Tamara :D

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Tamara,

Yep, ready to rate claims are sometimes sent to regions that are less busy to be rated. There's a word for it that I can't think of just now.

Sounds like you'll be getting a decision soon. I hope it's fair to you.

Like you said, SC is the important thing first off. Unfortunatley, you may be correct to be ready for a fight for %.

Do you have claims open for the headaches (migrains) and depression? Anyway, I'm thinking ahead. I'm on pins and needles to hear your decision. My symptoms are axactly the same as yours for the most part. And yep, I could go on naming more too.

Hoping the best for you,

Time

Time,

Well actually I am not sure what this claim is exactally for..migraines was one and my right knee was the other. I can't remember how many things it was submitted for to tell you the truth. I do know that migraines was one of my complaints when I filed. I catually am going to call tomorrw and find out what I filed for. Wow I can't believe I can't remember...no actually I can. I didn't put in for depression, because that didn't hit me until I had the surgery. I know it hit me like a ton of brick too. I had a mini break down a few weeks ago. I feel useless at times because I cannot do much of anything that I used to. When I walk around too long or do too much, I am shot for 2-3 days (I mean can't get out of bed and barely function). It just sux some days. In any case as long as I still have good days, I take full advantage of them. At least I try to as best I can.

Well in any case, I will call them again tomorrow to see if they have an authorization yet. They "love " to hear from us everyday.....well maybe.. :D

I will keep you all informed.

Regards,

Tamara-are you an incountry Gulf War veteran? reason I ask-

I think the sand ants have affected GWveterans- as well as the pesticides they used to kill them and all the other crap in the sand.

Unfortunately the studies dont agree with me at all- but I think GW vets exposure to rats, other rodents, and all sorts of sand fleas and critters and the insecticide and other stuff they used to kill them off had to affect service men and women in the Gulf War.

I think it is all another Agent Orange situation.

The Chairi condition is bad enough veteran but I noticed how similiar some of your symptoms were to Gulf War veterans.

I couldnt find a single claim at the BVA for this condition but there are other medical terms for it too and as

Time found the regs, they can certainly rate it under those codes he mentioned.

I certainly hope this claim goes well for you.You deal with enough as it is.

Berta,

Hi and thanks for the reply!!!. As per the military ...No I am not in country GW......well by all actuality I was but by the history books, they state no. I was there when troops went TDY to Iraq in July 1987. Thats what they called it before they considered it a war. Desert Shield to Desert Storm. I was at SAC HQ in Offutt, Nebraska. All I know is that I feel like crap, it happened in the service and I have been trying to deal with it ever since. I actually tried to submit a calim in the early 90's for migrains but there were no doctors that would back me up. Three of them told me it was a losing battle fighting the military. So I just kept going with all the strength I had, until that day in September where I thought I was having a stroke (the entire left side of my body was numb and tingling badly). The dr's thought it was MS first until the MRI was done. Then it was so bad that by the time I found the Neurologists I have now (October 21) They had to operate on me or else I would have worse permanent damage than I do now. Possibly having to be in a wheelchair. So I had my surgery on Nov 18 2005. I am soooooooo glad that I found the Chiari Institute. They are wonderful.

Well anyway, I really don't think that it relates to the GW, but hey things have been known to happen that are out of the ordinary.

I do get tinnitus (ringing in the ears), black-outs, dizziness, and this one is freaky...I will be standing completely still, but feel like my body is falling. I actually jerk my body to catch myself from falling when in reality I am not moving. I have some motor skills dysfunction, I sway back and forth, pain in my jaw bone, sensitivity to light and loud sounds, menstrual problems, difficulty swallowing, burning sensation in the bottoms of my feet to the point I can't walk (usually in the morning)....I can keep going. My hubby actually thought I was a hypocondriact....until the Dr. told him that they were all symptoms and they were real. Imagine going to dozens of doctors and them all telling me I had different things wrong and here "take meds for this and that"....I knew most of it was tied together.

Well enough of that!

Thanks again for the input.

Regards,

The Gulf War was in 1990-1991, although technically it continued after. What were they going TDY to Iraq for in 1987? I am also confued by your statement that technically you were an in coutry GW vet and later you said you were at Offut AFB. Did you go to the Middle East?

I am sorry for all your troubles

The Gulf War was in 1990-1991, although technically it continued after. What were they going TDY to Iraq for in 1987? I am also confued by your statement that technically you were an in coutry GW vet and later you said you were at Offut AFB. Did you go to the Middle East?

I am sorry for all your troubles

Husker,

It is written that the GW was 1990-1991. Operation Desert Shield was under was prior to becoming GW (Desert Storm). I was discharged in Aug 1987. When I went to the VA and filled out paperwork, I was not considered active during wartime. This is what I was told then, unless it all changed.

I am not sure why they went TDY to Iraq in 87, BUT I am guessing to put troops in place prior to the actual start of the war. This is just a guess, but I can remember some of the guys talking about it. The military did not consider Desert Sheild wartime (this is why I said technically). I was never over seas, I was stationed at Offutt AFB, SAC HQ besides training and bootcamp, which were both at Lackland AFB TX and never went anywhere else.

Sorry about the confusion, but how can the military not consider the preperation of a war not waritme??? I know, it's the military...they do whatever they want to.

In any case, sorry again about the confusion, I was just venting.

Hooray!!!

I received my SC disability today for my Chiari, well residuals of the Chiari is what they wrote. I am happy. Almost a year to date since I filed. I actually didn't get a diagnosis code. They stated it is "rated analogous.... which are closely related." The knee injury was deferred they stated they needed additional development?? What is that. The doctor checked my knee at my first appointment. Now they want me to come back for another doctor visit.

Have a good one,

Tamara

Tamara- this is wonderful news- when you asked your origial question I could not find a single claim like this at the BVA site-I think others here tried too-

But that does not mean you did not have a SC disability- I am happy for you to succeed.

Did they give you the correect retro pay and what you feel is the right rating percentage?

You were hospitalized for this condition-

how long were you hospitalized and how long was your convalescence- reason I ask is-

hospitalization for a SC condition for 21 days or more generates a 100% Temp total disability comp payment.

Also convalensence periods can often raise a rating -if due to a SC condition.

Do you have a link in your SMRs to the knee injury? "additional development" is always a good sign my way of thinking because it is not a denial.

I just got a Remand due to "additional Development" was needed at the RO, and they certainly seem to be doing things there that were not done before -to develop the claim. (like actually reading the evidence)

Congratulations veteran! Once they grant SC - it is a big battle that has been won.

Other conditions can often be found as secondary to the SC condition which is easier to prove -in many cases- than looking for initial direct SC on them.

You did good and let's hope the knee injury is properly SCed too.