VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Motion For Reconsideration And Cue

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

QA vet can file to the BVA for a motion of reconsideration and a Cue at the same time.

You may file a motion for reconsideration with BVA at the same time your claim alleging clear and unmistakable error is being processed at the regional office. A motion for reconsideration of a BVA decision may be filed at any time. It must be sent to the following address:

Director, Administrative Service (014)

Board of Veterans’ Appeals

810 Vermont Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20420

If you send a motion for reconsideration to BVA, it must be in writing and must include the name of the veteran, the name of the claimant if other than the veteran, VA file number, and the date of BVA decision or decisions to be reconsidered. If BVA decision or decisions involved more than one issue on appeal, the specific issue, or issues, to which the motion pertains must be stated. Issues that are not specified will not be considered by BVA in the disposition of your motion. Your motion must state clearly and specifically the alleged obvious error, or errors, of BVA or other appropriate basis for requesting the reconsideration. See 38 CFR 20.1001.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I sent a CUE to the VARO because that is where I believe the error happened. What do I need to know? I did write on top of the CUE that this is a CUE and not a request for reconsideration. I expect my CUE to either enter the VARO's long grey line or be quickly bounced back to me as denied. Frankly, it is a shot in the dark but I just could not resist filing it since the injustice is so obvious to me.

• HadIt.com Elder

The way I understood CUE is that you must not have appealed a final decision in order to file CUE. I did not appeal this to the BVA. This is why I am at the VARO.

Terry, are you telling me that if I did not appeal the final decison to the BVA I can not claim a CUE? This is like trying to find a black cat at midnight. I did not even know what the BVA was 35 years ago. I filed a claim within one year of discharge and got 10% rating and that was that. Looking back with the evidence I found in my C-File I think the rating did not reflect the evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am also reading that a final decision at the RO level may be subsumbed by BVA ruling that was made on a reopened claim 20 years later. Then you have to go to the BVA and file your CUE. This seems to be a Mexican hat trick to do a CUE successfully. You have to start somewhere so best to file the claim and await the result. The VBM does say that you can file a CUE at the RO level after a final decision. It depends where the error occurred. If the error occurred at the BVA then that is where you file the CUE. I wish myself and all others filing CUE's good luck because we will need it.

John999,

You are right. Anyone claiming CUE does need luck. also need to be ready to continue to fight even through repeated denials.

As for when you can file a CUE - must be after the decision is final and the time limit for appeals has passed. After that, you can file a CUE at any time, but can only raise the same CUE error once. So once you've started your CUE for a particular error, don't quit appealing denials of that CUE until you win because you can't come back later with a better argument and for the same error.

You also have to file where the error occurred. If the error was at the RO level, then file there. If it was at the BVA, file your CUE with them. And don't ever use the word reconsider in your letters or arguments, unless you're stating that it's NOT a request for reconsideration.

I suggest you read, read, read! Read all the CUE decisions you can find at both the BVA and CAVC as well as decisions relating to your situation. Both have search engines that you can use to find decisions that you can use to help educate your self. As you read you'll come across decisions and rules and regulations that you would never have known about otherwise and than you can use to help your case.

And of course, keep active in HADIT! There are some very smart and savvy elders here that you can count on to help you though.

• HadIt.com Elder

Angela

What do you know about VARO decisions being subsumbed by BVA decisions? The VBM says that some CUE's are thrown out because the BVA decided the issue at a later date in a reopened decision. In other words, you get your final decision at the RO level and ten years later your reopen your claim and it goes to the BVA where it is denied. 10 years later you file a CUE at the RO level and the VA maintains your claim for CUE was subsumbed via the BVA decision ten years ago. Do you understand what I am saying?

My claim is 35 years old and I have reopened it 5 or 6 times over the years. I have been to the BVA a few times asking for increases.

John999,

Very good question. The answer depends on your particular circumstances. I'm not 100% confident of my answer below as I quickly reviewed the Cook decision referenced by Terry. Sometimes I have to read several decisions, (and read them over and over 'cause I'm not a legal guru) before I get the underlying issues. I'm sure Terry will correct me if I'm wrong here.

I believe that once the BVA makes a decision (even on a reopen), that subsumes the original RO decision (addresses the same issues), that you can only CUE the BVA decision.

But, if the BVA decision was on the issue of "was there CUE in the original RO decision" , then you can still CUE the original RO decision IF your argument is different than the one that the BVA already decided.

I think Terry meant to type "Hayre" when referring to decisions you should read. It is mentioned in the Cook decision but I haven't been able to locate the Hayre decision itsself. If you search for "98-1218" on the CAVC's search engine you'll find the Cook decision though.