VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need To Know Already 100 Pt

Rate this topic

Archer

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Some states have laws requiring a certain character of discharge. The Georgia DMV probably only knows what they require to get your Veteran stamp, but likely have no clue what anything else means.

Because you are 100% P&T, have you got your military ID yet? The commissary privilege letter, plus the Chapter 35 eligibility wording in your award letter, should be sufficient.

Additionally, I recall reading somewhere that some discharges could be upgraded under certain circumstances. Not sure about your situation, but might be something worth researching.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i called tonight and was told that my discharhe on the 1800 number pulled up as honorable and that I could get this paperwork at the regional office (uh) does that mean my dd214 was/has been upgraded already? If so I may need to go to the regional office sadly the only one I can find for Georgia is in atlanta and im in valdosta thats like 300 miles away......

I really don't understand what you are trying to change. I was medically retired last year from the navy with 30%, and I am 100% VA. One had nothing to do with the other. It sounds to me like you were medically discharged along with a dishonorable discharge, and no you can not change a dishonorable to an honorable. Good luck either way and congrats on the 100%.

i called tonight and was told that my discharhe on the 1800 number pulled up as honorable and that I could get this paperwork at the regional office (uh) does that mean my dd214 was/has been upgraded already? If so I may need to go to the regional office sadly the only one I can find for Georgia is in atlanta and im in valdosta thats like 300 miles away......

You can go to ebenefit and print out a letter that proves you have an honorable discharge without getting a DD 214 and it is consider an official document.

This letter is a summary of benefits you currently receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). We are providing this letter to disabled Veterans to use in applying for benefits such as state or local property or vehicle tax relief, civil service preference, to obtain housing entitlements, free or reduced state park annual memberships, or any other program or entitlement in which verification of VA benefits is required. Please safeguard this important document. This letter is considered an official record of your VA entitlement.

Edited by pete992

This is the same process as in Florida. Florida must see a DD214 with "honorable discharge" they won't accept any other form of documentation. Unless the DD214 reflects "honorable discharge" they won't put the stamp on. They have even gone as far as to explain that a medical discharge isn't sufficient documentation unless the DD214 reflects the words "honorable discharge" I showed them 5 other pieces of documentation that reflected my discharge as honorable and I had my original preliminary DD214/15 and they brow beat me in front of the entire DMV and wouldn't listen. Finally when the hot head stopped drilling me about not knowing what I was talking about. I said, "Yeah, like I said, I have that too" handed him my DD214 and went about my business. It's a hassle! That's for sure!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use