VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vets Spouse Not Allowed To Accompany During C&p

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

Hey all,

I know about a year ago or more this same topic came up and I thought someone furnished the reg that allows the vets spouse to be with him during C&P evaluations and to sit in with him. My buddy went to StL VAMC to have a C&P by a psychologist yesterday. He had been awarded 30% last Nov for PTSD and they NOD'd that for an increase. This is why he was there, for the NOD as he has three PHs from Vietnam.

Anyway the C&P psychologists told them the vet could not have his wife accompany him. My friend told the C&P lady that he desires his wife to be present as he has been married to her over 30 years. The examiner then referred him to Veterans Advocate and she was not aware of any rule that allows the vet to have his spouse present during C&P Evaluations.

Anyway the C&P psychologist he was supposed to see cancelled his C&P and told him it would have to be rescheduled. So they refused to do a C&P because he refused without having his wife present.

Now it gets better! Another psychologist had a cancellation so she then said she would evaluate him and it was ok to have his wife present. During the C&P he was asked to answere 65 questions using a computer and my friend had some questions of the examiner because some of the questions were not clear to him, such as multiple choice questions about guilt. He asked her what did all this mean and she got irrate and told him he was taking too much time and she had other patients to do (It was nearing 1600 or 4PM!!!!) (Sidenote: Wonder how many C&Ps are done after 4PM anyway or was she in a hurry to get off work)

So since she said he was taking too long and asking too many questions that he would be rescheduled to come back another time. The C&P psychologist told him that he was one of the most beligerent patients they have ever come across.

Anyway, if someone can help by providing the rules as far as a vet patient being able to have spouse in the exam room with them, it would be much appreciated.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Rocky,

I do not believe there is an actual regulation that allows or disallows a spouse or family member to be present at a C&P exam.

There are a list of patient rights and I believe although you are not recieving treatment you are evaluated and submitting to a physical or mental exam by the VA provider- thus this results in being a patient. So VA should be guided by the standard of care for all medical providers in this country

One of the rights is to be allowed to make informed decisions about ones care. If that means you need someone in the room to help listen and explain things later then that means the patient request aid during the examination. The provider should respect the patients wishes. (why not??) Let your imagination run wild. The medical community can get paranoid about things.

Patient rights, HIPPA regulations etc., one thing that could help your friend is if he gives his wife the medical power of attorney. She needs to be informed., with POAshe has the right to make future decisions, that might help.

I have had experience when the doctor wanted the room cleared for the exam but allowed the family member in the room for discussion and information gathering following the physical exam process.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

Hey all,

I know about a year ago or more this same topic came up and I thought someone furnished the reg that allows the vets spouse to be with him during C&P evaluations and to sit in with him. My buddy went to StL VAMC to have a C&P by a psychologist yesterday. He had been awarded 30% last Nov for PTSD and they NOD'd that for an increase. This is why he was there, for the NOD as he has three PHs from Vietnam.

Anyway the C&P psychologists told them the vet could not have his wife accompany him. My friend told the C&P lady that he desires his wife to be present as he has been married to her over 30 years. The examiner then referred him to Veterans Advocate and she was not aware of any rule that allows the vet to have his spouse present during C&P Evaluations.

Anyway the C&P psychologist he was supposed to see cancelled his C&P and told him it would have to be rescheduled. So they refused to do a C&P because he refused without having his wife present.

Now it gets better! Another psychologist had a cancellation so she then said she would evaluate him and it was ok to have his wife present. During the C&P he was asked to answere 65 questions using a computer and my friend had some questions of the examiner because some of the questions were not clear to him, such as multiple choice questions about guilt. He asked her what did all this mean and she got irrate and told him he was taking too much time and she had other patients to do (It was nearing 1600 or 4PM!!!!) (Sidenote: Wonder how many C&Ps are done after 4PM anyway or was she in a hurry to get off work)

So since she said he was taking too long and asking too many questions that he would be rescheduled to come back another time. The C&P psychologist told him that he was one of the most beligerent patients they have ever come across.

Anyway, if someone can help by providing the rules as far as a vet patient being able to have spouse in the exam room with them, it would be much appreciated.

It may take longer for this vet to get an increase, but being "the mosr beligerite patient that they've seen" sure sounds like he has PTSD really bad to me, and very well prove that he deserves the increase.

Did he ask for a copy of the C&P exam, or for a written statement as to what occured? I probally would have been to pissed to remember but maybe he's smarter than I am.

Boondoc

• HadIt.com Elder

I am surprised the VA did not have the vet maced for asking too many questions and for wanting his wife with him. A vet who stands up for himself is a menace. I will take my lawyer with if I ever go for another C&P and plenty of bail money. I might burp and they will throw the book at me. Talk about being treated like a criminal. The shrink who did not want the wife there did not want a witness to his C&P technique. He probably had not even read the medical records before the C&P and was stumbling around and did not even know the vet's name.

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife accompanies me to all exams and evaluations. The Dallas VA does not hassle Vets over spouse anymore. I think that they can make your spouse wait outside but for the most part they are getting used to mine being with me.

When met with resistence my wife calmly says "I don't think that you would want to deal with one of his panic attacks" and the foors open wide.

Rocky,

Your wife or any other person you bring with you has the right to be in the same room if you specify that you want them there. I would advise you not to go alone, it could come down to he said/they said.

I do not trust any Dr. alone anymore, my husband and I go together for each others appointments.

You know also, when you have reviews at the work place you also have the right to have someone of your choice to be in the room with you, ( there are many A--H---- of supervisors out there and all you are doing is protecting yourself.

YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TO PROTECT YOURSELF; DO NOT LET THIS DR. TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT:

I would also make a complaint on him and the other Dr. also. They have no right to talk to you that way!

Set up another appointment and specify at that time that your wife will be with you in the room and that you will not have it any other way. If they do not comply then call your VA Rep and tell them

Good Luck

Lady's and Gents

I'm sitting on the side reading your posts . I have an C@P exam tommorro at 3:00. I am bringing the wife with me. Because she will tell them more then I would about the disability and what it stops me from doing . She will be more honest then I . Us - Men don't like admitting to the fact that we are unable to do things. I guess its the Nature of the Beast. I,ll let you know tommorro night if they told her she was not aloud in with me. I'm Guessing they will with no problems .She has been invited by docters to my Physical therapy treatments so I think they will have no problem with the wife with me at the C@P Exam.

Macool

Edited by macool