VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vets Spouse Not Allowed To Accompany During C&p

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

Hey all,

I know about a year ago or more this same topic came up and I thought someone furnished the reg that allows the vets spouse to be with him during C&P evaluations and to sit in with him. My buddy went to StL VAMC to have a C&P by a psychologist yesterday. He had been awarded 30% last Nov for PTSD and they NOD'd that for an increase. This is why he was there, for the NOD as he has three PHs from Vietnam.

Anyway the C&P psychologists told them the vet could not have his wife accompany him. My friend told the C&P lady that he desires his wife to be present as he has been married to her over 30 years. The examiner then referred him to Veterans Advocate and she was not aware of any rule that allows the vet to have his spouse present during C&P Evaluations.

Anyway the C&P psychologist he was supposed to see cancelled his C&P and told him it would have to be rescheduled. So they refused to do a C&P because he refused without having his wife present.

Now it gets better! Another psychologist had a cancellation so she then said she would evaluate him and it was ok to have his wife present. During the C&P he was asked to answere 65 questions using a computer and my friend had some questions of the examiner because some of the questions were not clear to him, such as multiple choice questions about guilt. He asked her what did all this mean and she got irrate and told him he was taking too much time and she had other patients to do (It was nearing 1600 or 4PM!!!!) (Sidenote: Wonder how many C&Ps are done after 4PM anyway or was she in a hurry to get off work)

So since she said he was taking too long and asking too many questions that he would be rescheduled to come back another time. The C&P psychologist told him that he was one of the most beligerent patients they have ever come across.

Anyway, if someone can help by providing the rules as far as a vet patient being able to have spouse in the exam room with them, it would be much appreciated.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Good Luck MacCool. I think your wife will help you.

I have fought hard to get this far. 15 years of being screwed with and now the VA is going to have to take a good look at what they have made me live with. And also look at the SMR's they said did not exist. I don't know why but I'm not nervous!- just kind of Satisfied that I've come this far and the VA is going to finally have to Own up to the Facts, My right shoulder is at least 30% smaller then the Left. Then the left went because they wouldn't help me and I had to Eat,Lets see what they do with this Busted up Cover up of theirs. Thanks Pete53 . I will post tommorro Night and let everyone know what they said .I'll be bringing copys of everything with me from the Exam so I have them and the VARO don't lose them all. The Congressmans VA guy will get a set and anyone else that is in contact with this claim I've got my Butt covered.

Macool

My husband has had a number of C & P exams done in the past and I have been with him on all of them. I didn't ask if I could be in there with him, I just walked in and sat down. I don't know of any regulation or rule that states that you cannot have someone with you during a C & P exam. Even if the examiner states that the spouse or whoever cannot stay with the veteran during the exam, the veteran should be able to state that they want that person there with them.

When my husband first starting seeing the psychiatrist he sees now, she never really stated I could not go in with my husband, but she gave me that impression. Well, I figured that since these were his initial routine treatment exams that maybe she just wanted to talk to him alone for a few visits to try and get him to talk to her. But, after a while, I then started going in with him because I felt he wasn't telling her everything. She looked at me funny when I started to walk with my husband to her office, but she never said anything. Now, I go in with him at various times to just keep abreast of how things are really going with her treatments.

Of all the different doctors and C & P's that my husband has been to, I have always been allowed in the room with him. I just cannot imagine any doctor not allowing someone to be in the examining room with the veteran if he has no problem with it.

mssoup

• HadIt.com Elder
My husband has had a number of C & P exams done in the past and I have been with him on all of them. I didn't ask if I could be in there with him, I just walked in and sat down. I don't know of any regulation or rule that states that you cannot have someone with you during a C & P exam. Even if the examiner states that the spouse or whoever cannot stay with the veteran during the exam, the veteran should be able to state that they want that person there with them.

When my husband first starting seeing the psychiatrist he sees now, she never really stated I could not go in with my husband, but she gave me that impression. Well, I figured that since these were his initial routine treatment exams that maybe she just wanted to talk to him alone for a few visits to try and get him to talk to her. But, after a while, I then started going in with him because I felt he wasn't telling her everything. She looked at me funny when I started to walk with my husband to her office, but she never said anything. Now, I go in with him at various times to just keep abreast of how things are really going with her treatments.

Of all the different doctors and C & P's that my husband has been to, I have always been allowed in the room with him. I just cannot imagine any doctor not allowing someone to be in the examining room with the veteran if he has no problem with it.

mssoup

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
If anyone should have the law concerning the presence of your spouse with you during a C&P examination, Please post it.

I had to go before a Board of Two Psychiatrist and they flatly refused to allow my husband to go back with me.

They used a light form of Hypnosis without my consent and now try to tell me that we sat at a conference tqble. Not true, we sat in a triangle postion and I couldn't ever see the physchiatrist doing the talking.

I talked to the General Council and was told, that I would never be able to prove any form of light hypnosis, due to the fact that there was two of them and one of me.

If I go for another C&P, they can have the Security Guard remove me from the premises, but I will never and I mean never walk into any C&P by myself again.

The General Council told me to scream, kick or do what ever I had to do, but never go into a C&P alone and especially with two psychiatrist.

Your word against theirs.

This is part of my complaint with the BVA and The Management Center in my claims folder.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Actually, in WA State, there is a law that prohibits having another person in the room during a "Psych" exam for evaluation because the other person can cause a completely different outcome of the examination.

Some doc's follow this law, some don't, but it CAN negate your results and I have seen it happen (unfortunately).

There is NO Federal Regulation that allows a veteran or anyone to have another person in the room while being treated, tested or examined.....but, we all know, after being screwed by the VA, that if you don't have another person present then have a video camera and tape recorder with you by all means.