VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I Elegible?

Rate this question

usdart

Question

Currently 100% P&T for PTSD. I am still working but, I want to quit soooo bad. Don't know how much more I can take. My Wife (the war department) wants me to work another year and she doesn't understand the stress involved.

Is SSDI more than regular Social Security benefits at 63?

Is there a neeed for a lawyer or is there a free avenue for help?

• HadIt.com Elder

You are elegible for both SS and SSDI, but not while you are working (SSDI), and yes in most cases SSDI is more than regular SS, and at age 65 you will be converted to regular SS and paid at the higher rate.

At your age, you have a better chance.....You will file for both regular SS (reduced rate "early") and SDI at the same time. SS will start your regular SS, and you will have that coming in until you get your SSDI....If SSDI is approved then you will get that amount for life.

JR is on the money bud. No you do not need a lawyer. I did it on my own last Nov 14, and was granted in less than 10 weeks and I get $2200 a month. Just go to the SSA website and file. It will take a few hours, so make sure you have all your meds and Docs listed in front of you. You select which disability you feel keeps you from working. Now I will tell you this the SSA does not like to approve SSDI claims for Vets that are working especially when your disability is for PTSD. I am 70% for PTSD, soon to be 100%, but I was granted SSDI solely on my PTSD and TBI which were both only 30% each from the VA at the time. There exams are similar to the VA C&Ps. When I was medically retired last year, I went on to be a federal agent tracking Rapists. I took the job because it paid a lot, but after 8 months my wife was very supportive and told me to resign, as it was taking a toll on my body. We almost starved those next 6 months, but then God granted my 100% VA, SSDI, and now the VA pays my wife to be my CareGiver. What I am trying to say in this winded response, is only you and your wife can decide what is right for you. Whether she thinks it is too early or not, she needs to support you. Really in the end you will be making more money then you are now, and you will be a lot happier, and easier for your wife to put up with you, Lol. God Bless and good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Does your current employer have a disability pension? Do they have group policy for disability insurance? If you get SSDI at age 63 you will get a little less than if you reached your full retirement age, but more than if you just retired now or regular SSA. You may become housefrau for a few months, but I did this for a few years.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your regular retirement age is probably 66 or 67, depending on your age now. You can take early retirement and you will receive about 70% of what your full retirement payment would be. You can also apply for SSDI, at the same time, and when you win you will be upgraded to your full rate, with back pay adjusted, just as tho you worked until your full retirement age. The decision is yours. I would take retirement now. You should have no problem getting SSDI awarded shortly and in the mean time, you'll have your regular SS checks coming in. SSDI is paid until you reach retirement age and then they switch accounts. (same amount, different accounts) SS and SSDI are based on how much you earned the 10 yrs before you stopped working and you are paid based on the highest 5 yr income average.

pr

I know 100% P & T vets can work but I believe I saw something somewhere that stated veterans with 100% P & T ratings for PTSD who work do so at the risk of having their rating reduced if the VA finds out about it. I may be wrong but I am sure others on this site will correct me if I am. Good luck to you and your family.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good point, georgiapapa, I missed that! A 100% rating for PTSD, includes the inability to work. If he continues to work he could lose his 100% rating. A rating isn't really permanent until you reach the 20yr mark. usdart should quit work immediately or risk losing his VA 100% rating.

pr