VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefit Claim Status

Rate this question

mikem

Question

July 1 I went from Under Review to Preparation for Notification. Today I was moved from Preparation for Notification to Preparation for Decision. Does this bode well for me or not?

Nope, nothing in the letters. This is a simple sleep apnea claim. The testing was done at the VA sleep Lab and I also have an IMO. There is nothing else attached to it.

It is puzzling as to what else they would want If they already conducted a sleep study during your visit to the sleep lab. You will probably have a pulmonary exam by a NP who does not specialize in pulmonary medicine and she will ask you a list of questions about sleep apnea listed on her computer and the exam will be over.

I had a NP for my C & P for cancer and she knew very little about my type of cancer. I brought my medical records from my oncologist/hematologist with me to the C & P exam and she used the medical records to complete the questions on her computer. She also made copies of some of my records. She did not perform any type of tests on me. I had good results from my C & P exam.

I would bring any records, buddy statements, spousal statements, etc. that support your claim to the C & P exam. The examiner may review them or they may not but it does no harm to have them with you. Do not depend on the examiner having any records (including VA records) with them to review.

When I first arrived for my C & P the NP gave me a form to go have lab work (blood tests, urine tests) and a bone marrow biopsy. I told the NP that I had brought my medical records with me with the results of recent lab tests and a recent bone marrow biopsy. She asked to see the records, made copies of some of the records and told me the records would suffice and it would not be necessary for me to undergo additional tests at my C & P. She also used information from my records to answer some of the questions required by the VA.

I would also point out that having medical records available for the examiner's review lends credibility to the answers provided by the veteran to the examiner. The examiner is less likely to insert their personal opinions (veteran appears to be malingering, faking, lying, etc.) in their responses to the questions required by the VA when there is strong medical documentation in front of them supporting the claimant's contentions. How many times have veterans requested copies of their C & P exam reports and discovered the examiner had harmed their claim with unfair or unsupported comments?

I stand by my recommendation that veterans should bring records and anything else they have supporting their claim to their C & P exam. Even if the examiner does not review the material, the examiner may give more credence to the veteran because the veteran brought their records to back them up if the examiner wishes to see them. JMO.