VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Or Not

Rate this question

Me1984

Question

Wondering if having a VSO is really necessary or not. I actually didn't go through a VSO for my new claim nor the claim I just got reevaluated for yesterday. I currently have all of my one medical record from outside provider and just submitted it. Does that affect the VA's decision whether or not if you have representation. I just remember being in the army in my Meb stage and never able to reach my PEBLO which was frustrating. How does everyone else feel about this? To have a VSO or not to have a VSO is the question.

My preference is handling the claims myself without a VSO. However, before you file a claim you need to gather as much information as you can about how the VA disability claims system works. Everything you need to know about how to file a VA disability claim can be found on the hadit website. My successful claims have been the result of assistance provided by information on this website, other hadit members and doing a lot of reading and research on my own. Gather your own medical records, don't depend on the VA. You are your own best advocate. Don't depend on a VSO or the VA doing the work for you. The only time I would recommend using a VSO is if you just don't feel confident and/or capable of filing the claim yourself.

Good luck to you.

Agreed. Research FDC - Fully Developed Claim (not just you but others reading this) and handle the claim yourself unless you're really not up to it.

To do it again, I'd never use VSO because yanking Power of Attorney has been like getting a date with the president.

Vync,

Although I never requested a VSO, the American Legion was designated by the VA as my VSO in 1970. Even today, they are still shown in my claims records as my VSO. I filed claims in 1970, 2010 and 2011 all without assistance from the AL or any other VSO. I have never talked with anyone at the AL but they have been copied on all of my claims decisions. I am not really concerned as long as they don't take any action on my behalf.

I believe someone years ago told me the VA required veterans to have a VSO designated whether they use them or don't use them. I don't know if this is true or not true.

Sorry, my last post should have been directed to Notorious Kelly, not Vync.