VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Strange C&p Yesterday! 5 Minute Exam.

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

Well, finally got my C&P yesterday and my mouth is still hanging open. Started off in the not so nice part of the city and while sitting in the parking area i thought to myself this is not going to be good after what was posted about this doc on the internet. After waiting for 25 min. to go back to the exam room (and noticing the clientel that was entering his office) I thought accident doctor. When i got into the exam room it was stark to say the least with only an exam table and sink and unfinished counter, oh, and 3 full boxes of exam robes. When the doc came in he was plesent but to the point. He asked me if I filled out the QTC DBQ and i said yes and asked if he would like to look at my last MRI. He said that would'nt be necessary and ask me to lay down on the table. When I could'nt because of the pain from the hump in the table he said just sit up. He tested my reflexes of my knees and had me do the resistence test with both legs and then told me to get up and walk for him. I took 3 steps and he told me to bend forward. I asked him "till it starts to hurt and he said yea" I told him it already hurts and bent to about 20% and stoped and he said ok have a seat. He then said i was finished and to go for x-rays. I asked him what he thought and he replyed "i won't know till i look at the x-rays. He then made the comment " I don't know how your able to work and that he felt sorry for me because he hurt his back and knows what i'm going through".

That's it. Nothing like i was expecting. I was ready to scream when I got out the front door!!! No DBQ questions, no thingie to mesure my ROM, No nothing!!!

I figure it's going to be all or nothing with this guy. Has anyone else experanced anything like this? WOW.

Eric

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Not uncommon bud, and does not mean bad things to come. I have had over 15 C&Ps in the last year, and I would say half of them were less than 10 minutes long. My SSDI physical exam last year was done at a Civilian Clinic, but he was a ANG Reserve Doc, and he looked at my whole body and measured all the joints in less than 5 minutes, and did not say one word, not Hello or Bye, yet he gave a great report to the SSA and 10 weeks later I was granted SSDI on Physical and Mental Disabilities. Just try not to go Crazy, easier said then done, I know. Good Luck, God Bless and keep us posted.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

QTC... I hope the doc washed his hands and/or used clean gloves.

The thingy used to measure ROM is called a goinometer, but should be called a not-goin-ometer. Some docs just 'eyeball' the ROM. Sadly, at my VA, no doc has ever used one. However, almost all of my non-VA specialty docs do use them, especially my physical therapists.

I had a C&P doc refuse to accept medical evidence during the exam. He said it should be in my records. I explained it was from a couple of weeks ago and then he changed his mind. It is possible he might have assumed it was in your records which he either reviewed or will review.

During my last C&P's, my docs entered info directly into the computer as they went. These were regular VA docs, not QTC.

On the bright side, his comment about how you are able to work is promising, but you never know. I hope it works out for you. Definitely be sure to get a copy of the results and compare them to the DBQ.

Thanks ,

I'm not even sure sure how to interpert this exam at all. All I know is that from what most people says on this forum and it did prepare me for the worst which did'nt happen, this Doctor was contrary to what he should have done. I guess that could work in my favor if i get denied or if my ROM is'nt what it should be. I could challange his numbers because of not following protacall and using the goinometer. I did'nt even see a computer in this place and he just jotted down some notes on paper. Well, I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Thanks again for the reassurance and hope!!!!

Eric

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have an IME doctor or your own private doctor who will write a report for you. If you are depending only on VA for evidence you are going to have a hard time. You need to collect your own medical evidence via a private doctor's complete exam including testing beyond an x-ray. If you don't have insurance get your PCP to send you for new testing after you get results of this exam and/or rating. This is how we play the game. The VA does half-ass exam and you go out and get good exam to combat exact reasons they either denied or low balled you. However, as Navy04 says it may turn out to be a good exam. The VARO is the one who rates you and not the doctor.

Being on friendly terms with your PCP can really help. I won claims based on testing my PCP sent me for after I had a cardiac exam from a NP that was just guess work with no testing at all. I asked my PCP to send me for some real tests and she did it and I won my appeal. My exam was so incomplete a ward clerk could have done it.

John

John,

I do not have a Private doctor anymore. I had one for 12 years after saying to myself "I'd never go to the VA again" back in 1995 when I got out. But as of 3 yrs. ago my private doc said to go back to the VA because" the care had gotten so much better", LOL!!! Well I listened and it did'nt to make a long story short. I guess I still could use him but, then I'd have to doc bills to deal with and i'm not sure how my insyrance would look at tthat two doctors, (BCBS)! Since Obama Care my deductable has gone from $1,000.00 to $3,000.00 and can't really afford two docs with two sets of test and x-rays and MRI's to deal with. I'm hopeing that this ends up to be good but if it doesn't then I'll have to reach out to whoever I can to get results. This is just a thought and please take it as so but, do you think the VA system is set up so they have a denial doctor and a give em what they want doctor? This thought struck me as iI have had plenty of time to think about stupid junk like this!! Could there be GO doctors and NO-GO doctors in the system and they use them when it behoves them? Any comments on this thought?

Eric

• HadIt.com Elder

"Could there be GO doctors and NO-GO doctors in the system and they use them when it behoves them?" Any comments on this thought?

Only the VA could answer this one! It would likely require a request from one of the congressional committees to get the VA to cough up the data.

And, I'm sure that the VA would fight, drag feet, etc., and so forth until they were threatened with a contempt of congress charge!

Those of us that have had C&P exams suspect that examiners are chosen selectively. Further, there have been cases where the RO's seem to be shopping for a desired result.

Edited by Chuck75