VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Service Connect Sleep Apnea And Other Sleeping Disorders

Rate this question

neferaM

Question

brothers and sisters in arms. I developed sleep apnea during service and on thing I am having problems with, is to service connected. I served with the 4ID in Iraq and once we returned to Ft.Hood, the Division was moving to Ft.Carson. Everything was so fast. I was put out the Army two months after our return. Everything was so fast that I never got a phase II phisical. The Army made sure I was out, but I didn't make sure I was getting out with the proper evidence. Now I have sleep apnea. Hard to prove with out evidence (like everything with VA) now I also have ptsd and it seems that I will get a rating. My sleep study is on Monday. What proof can I show VA at this point to garantee a service connection? Does my ptsd will come in to play? Any advice is welcome. Thank. BTW I am looking to service connectee legitimately, I don't want any lies or tricks, so ...please refrain from offering twisted ways to get benefits. Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, anything the VA can do to get out of granting SC award, it will do.  Or else half of them would be out of work, and all of us wouldn't be posting here.

Semper Fi

From my determination

We have assigned  a 20 percent evaluation  for your diabetes  mellitus, type II based on: Oral

hypoglycemic agent required   Restricted  diet .

A higher evaluation of 40 percent is not warranted for diabetes  mellitus unless the evidence shows diabetes  requiring  insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities.

On 5/13/2016 at 3:51 AM, Andyman73 said:

Yeah, anything the VA can do to get out of granting SC award, it will do.  Or else half of them would be out of work, and all of us wouldn't be posting here.

Semper Fi

...you do realize that these regulations are written by congress, and not the VA, right? The VA can only work within the bounds of the law. If you think SC is being denied unfairly, then the law needs to be changed by congress. Complaining to VA personnel that are bound to uphold the regulations that congress enacts is about as useful as spitting into the wind.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes,  the congress that is always praising the sacrifices of veterans is the same congress that makes it so hard to get service connection.  It took them and their servants,  the VA, 40 years to connect Parkinson's Disease to AO exposure and Heart disease.  It is them that invented the BVA and the Court of Veteran appeals that often turns a claim into a ten year battle and the necessity of hiring a lawyer to win a claim.  Congress, the President and the federal courts  make it so difficult to win claims just to save money.    When you are 21 years old and are discharged from the military are you given some sort of real class as to your rights to claim service connection for injuries or illness you have incurred while in your service?  Being a Vietnam vet I did not even get a copy of my medical and personnel records when I was discharged.   Most of the draftees  that ETS'ed  right out of Vietnam were actively discouraged  in trying to get copies of their records.   This is all based on the government which is supposed to be of, for and by the people  from having to spend money on returning war veterans and peace vets as well.  The very lowest priority the government has had since the years after WW11 is helping disabled veterans.  Sweeping them and their problems under the rug has been a high priority since vets are considered by our masters as liabilities and not honored members of their communities.  Consider the difficulty in getting a PTSD claim accepted before 9/11 and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.   Getting service connected for PTSD or any mental health issue before 9/11 was a most humbling, humiliating and degrading process. I was called a liar and my motives were questioned almost every time I had a C&P exam.  I don't know what it is like now but I know just to get a 10% rating for a "nervous condition" I had to go inside the VA's mental health locked ward for a month.  This was within one year of discharge.  Everything about the VA's treatment of vets lets you know who is the master and who is the servant.

Edited by john999
Correct the meaning of a sentence

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes John unfortunately they are non VA Advocates out there that work for the VA and do everything they can to see to it that veteran is denied his earned benefits.

My reason and opinion about this  is they are not veterans them self and if they can't get a monetary tax free payment's  why should they let a veteran get his.

I am hoping and praying this New President, President Trump Weeds these kind of people out of the VA.

What we know today we should have knew back then but hine sights 20/20. 

I hope these new Gulf war Veterans get better justice then we old Vietnam Crooners got when we return from that Mosquito infested swamp jungle of a Hell Hole.

I say that with all due respect of my fellow Vietnam Buddy's that never made it home.