VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New And Material Evidence

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

Hi Everyone! I've been as busy as heck since school started! We just got a letter from the VA -- I guess it is our letter that is "supposed" to tell us exactly what we need to send to substantiate his claim for lung cancer. However, it mostly just lists "all medical records...pharmacy prescription reports,..etc..etc..

My husband previously applied for SC for lung cancer (under the premise that it STARTED in service..though not diagnosed until 2 years post retirement) --and he included a secondary connection for cancer related to asbestos exposure.

The VA has never addressed the DIRECT connection - and previously denied him for the secondary connection --

Now the letter states:

You were previously denied service connection blah blah blah... On order for us to reopen your claim, we need new and material evidence.

It also sates "in order to be material, the additional evidence must pertain to the reason your claim was previously denied.

Your claim was previously denied because your service medical records do not show any respiratory problems in seervice or exposure to asbestos. Therefore the evidence you submit must relate to this fact."

????????????????

They have failed to acknowledge that we have repeatedly requested that they consider the DIRECT service connection aspect of this claim.

Can they limit the evidence they consider only to those two things?

And it is HARD to send them NEW service medical records --though we can point out AGAIN that his service medical records DO show respiratory problems

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Free

Ask for a DRO Hearing not a review. This way you can testify as well if you know anything about when the problems started and also you can be there for your husband so he does not feel alone. Can you get an IMO from someone who really understands asbestos problems?

For Navy vets, it is a little easier because VA has an occupational list of exposure to asbestos. Old ships were full of it.

He will have to prove that he was exposed to asbestos by his Air Force MOS.

Electricians often were exposed:

http://www.mesotheliomasos.com/jobElectricians.php

There is a lot of information on the net regarding asbestos-but the VA will need a direct link to his service.

If he did electrical work in older base housing or buildings, they could have had asbestos in them.

He also will need a strong medical statement that the type of cancer he has is more than likely from the asbestos exposure.

Also he might be able to find his unit or squadron on the internet and if he needs buddy statements this is a good way to get them.

There are numerous asbestos lawsuits going on and they have paid out millions already- I posted this info a few weeks ago.

The companies who manufactured the asbestos are being sued.It is something he might want to consider.

I have a veteran and a civilian friend who are in asbestos lawsuits.

His inservice occupation will have to be detailed and proven as to his exposure to asbestos while in the service.

They KIND of acknowledged that electricians are exposed to asbestos - because their denial even stated "Your service medical records show you were an electrician, HOWEVER there is nothing such as an occupational survey or participation in an occuaptional health surveillance program that would indicate exposure to asbestos. " This pretty much mimics what the doctor said.

But again - the Air Force did not start such programs for asbestos until several years after he cross trained into another filed.

The VA already has two letters form my husband which indicate specific things he did as an electrician to expose him to asbestos.

Also - documented in his medical records with the Base dcotors (post service) are:

Written Notes in Chronological Record of Medical Care 10/3/2001 –

“CXR rpt seen > Upper Lobe Scarring & 3 cm Left Lung SPN

Also likely asbestos exposure as electrician 1969 – 1982

N.B. – Chart & Consult & pt. Is in Error & pt. In Non-Small Cell CA & Not Small Cell. Important Differences explained to pt. e. g. Poss. Adeno CA unk 1 ° ? “

New Patient Note 10/10/2001 – – Oncologist

“The patient’s past history is somewhat remarkable in that he worked as an electrician in the air force and was exposed to asbestos.”

Written Notes in Chronological Record of Medical Care 11/5/2003 -

Hx of Lung Cancer. S/P resection at SLU September 00

3 cm & LLL-ectomy. Adeno CA. Smoker & Asbestos Exposure.

Impr. – 1. Poss Adeno CA Stump Recurr

2. 1st CA 2000

3. Exposure Cigs & Asbestos > 80 x’s Risk

It is odd that they disregarded all that evidence --on the basis that he wasn't involved in a surveillance program that didn't even exist at the time.

Adenocarcinoma is one of the cancers that is linked to asbestos.

We have since obtained:

4 buddy statements which state that

a. they were always doing electrical work that exposed them to asbestos

b. that no safety programs were in place at that time (screening, respiratory protection, etc.

We also have obtained:

1. A job description for Air Force electricians which states they are likely to be exposed to asbestos.

2. Documentation which shows that the air Force did not start their asbesots management programs until the mid 80s

3. A document which shows that Air Force electricians are now required to be in the respiratory protection programs.

4. Records showing the buildings which have had asbestos abatement at the last base he was on as an electrician.

5. Documents from OSHA showing that the Construction Standard for asbestos didn't start until the mid 1980's - and that the PEL levels changed significantly over time (i.e. exposure that was allowable in the 70's under the General Industry Standard (which did not include construction workers) is NOW considered to be dangerous --

I think we have enough to show exposure IF we can get them PAST looking only for evidence which we cannot provide (which is the health screenings that were not done at that time)

Free

For Navy vets, it is a little easier because VA has an occupational list of exposure to asbestos. Old ships were full of it.

He will have to prove that he was exposed to asbestos by his Air Force MOS.

Electricians often were exposed:

http://www.mesotheliomasos.com/jobElectricians.php

There is a lot of information on the net regarding asbestos-but the VA will need a direct link to his service.

If he did electrical work in older base housing or buildings, they could have had asbestos in them.

He also will need a strong medical statement that the type of cancer he has is more than likely from the asbestos exposure.

Also he might be able to find his unit or squadron on the internet and if he needs buddy statements this is a good way to get them.

There are numerous asbestos lawsuits going on and they have paid out millions already- I posted this info a few weeks ago.

The companies who manufactured the asbestos are being sued.It is something he might want to consider.

I have a veteran and a civilian friend who are in asbestos lawsuits.

His inservice occupation will have to be detailed and proven as to his exposure to asbestos while in the service.

John -

Thanks - but I am not sure if we can do that at this point - as they are reopening the claim. Won't we have to wait for them to make another decision before we ask for a review?

But we certainly will ask for one as soon as we can.

We are working on the IMO

Free

Free

Ask for a DRO Hearing not a review. This way you can testify as well if you know anything about when the problems started and also you can be there for your husband so he does not feel alone. Can you get an IMO from someone who really understands asbestos problems?

WOW free spirit- that is excellent work there on the evidence---

They do try to use smoking as a way out however, there are specific cancers due to asbestos that can be separated from cancers due to smoking.

Many Adenocarcinomas are also attributed to Agent Orange exposure.

Thank you Berta. As the compliment came from the Master Researcher - I consider that a real honor.

Free

WOW free spirit- that is excellent work there on the evidence---

They do try to use smoking as a way out however, there are specific cancers due to asbestos that can be separated from cancers due to smoking.

Many Adenocarcinomas are also attributed to Agent Orange exposure.