VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Burials

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

OK I have a question about the VA shipping my body back to St.Louis ,MO from where I now live in Mesa,AZ

My wife is buried at Jefferson Barracks in St Louis,MO & my name is on the same stone as hers

Does the VA do this or would they just bury me at another VA Cementary?

Like I said "My name is on the same stone as hers" so I would really like to get an answer to this as my health is not so good

If not the VA shipping me back there what is the alternative?

It's possible I could come up with the money & pay the costs if I knew how to do it

If anyone can answer my question I would really appreciate it

GARY

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

When My Mom Died back in 94 the VA didnt do any transportation that fell on my brother and I the rest of the burial benefits were through the VA She had purchased her plot next to Dad when he passed in the early 70s

Thank U very much for the reply What does it consist of shipping myself back to MO? How much did it cost? Any information U can give me would be highly appreciated Thank U GARY

Gary...hope you don't need this info for a LONG time.....but good question....

It depends on the funeral director to determine the cost of transportation as part of the funeral expense.

"Death due to a service related injury. There is a $2,000 "burial allowance" for these veterans which may be used to cover some of the funeral director's expenses, the casket, and transportation to the cemetery. IF death occurred in a VA facility, transport of the body to the cemetery will be paid, provided it is no farther than the last place of residence. If burial is not in a national cemetery, there is a $300 "interment allowance," but it is unlikely that will cover opening and closing or vault charges, let alone the cost of the lot. Although a marker is available at no charge, the private cemetery will probably have a setting fee."

"Nonservice-related death in a VA facility OR while collecting a VA pension or disability compensation. There is a $300 "burial allowance" which may be used to defray some of the usual funeral expenses. Although burial in a national cemetery is free to these veterans, all other mortuary expenses are the responsibility of the family. Transportation to a national cemetery (not farther than the residence of the deceased) will be provided only if the death occurs in a VA facility. The $300 interment allowance applies when burial is in other than a national cemetery.
Death of a veteran outside a VA facility, not receiving military pension or compensation. The $2,000 and $300 benefits do not apply, nor is there reimbursement for transportation to the cemetery. The lot in a national cemetery, any required vault, interment, a marker, and flag are the only burial benefits. If interment is in other than a national cemetery, the family is responsible for the cost of the lot, opening and closing charges, the vault, and any fee charged for setting the government marker if that is selected. The family must also bear all other funeral costs

http://www.funerals.org/frequently-asked-questions/60-veterans-funeral-and-burial-benefits

It is a pretty good run down of what VA has at their web site.

I am surprised they already have engraved your name on a cemetery marker at a VA National Cemetery.

Here in Bath NY National Cemetery they handed me a deed to the plot after they asked me to spell my full name,right after the 21 gun salute (which was really 7 guns, 3 volleys.

The only names on grave markers for spouses are put on the back of the headstone, if the spouse is buried there too. After the spouse dies, so the date of their death is correct too.

Coffins have to go on top of coffins and cremains on top of cremains. Unless that all has changed.

I often forget my husband was buried by VA almost 20 years ago..it all could have changed.

I was at the very top of the cemetery hill recently looking down at the markers and realized how many more burials have happened in the past 2 decades.They had to even buy more adjacent land.The cemetery, like Jefferson Barracks has been there since the Civil War.

Here is the website for Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.And their contact info.

Or you could call any funeral director in your locale for a transportation estimate.

http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/jeffersonbarracks.asp

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

It's going to depend on where you die(state) and whether they are shipping cremains or your embalmed body, in a casket. I'd suggest a direct cremation, with no funeral service, as it's the cheapest. If you have next of kin, they may be responsible for the costs but if not, the city or state may be responsible. Years ago I was able to get the city to take care of my late father's expenses. WE had been estranged for years and he had nothing. Flying a body to another state can be costly. Best to contact a funeral director in your area, for answers.

A 100%er, friend, died three yrs ago, had a local service, cremated, and military burial service and the VA paid $300 and the cost was about $6k, to his widow. A complete ripoff!!!

You can donate your body to a medical school for cadaver use. My Mom did that. If the school is in the state, where you die, they take care of transport costs, cremate the body, after a yrs use and send the cremains to the next of kin, all at no cost to the family. The family also receives a nice letter thanking them for the donation.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

Actually PR, I was going to suggest that too but feel uncomfortable sometimes to do that .......

My husband was an organ donor and then was cremated so I have to be cremated too, to be buried in the same plot. It wont hurt a bit and I also an an organ donor,

but I never dreamed ,at the time ,(since organ donors need to be autopsied, with full drug profile etc) how important that autopsy would become, when I continued my husband's 1151 and filed for FTCA and won under wrongful death.

The autopsy also helped with my AO DMII and AO IHD claims.

Many survivors like me would never see a DIC check without having a full autopsy done, whether for organ donation or not.

Berta,

Checked with my Daughter & you're right as all that is on the Rock is my Wifes name & it say's Wife of Gary Schneider So NO my name isn't on any stone Actually it's a small Tombstone

Do U remember me as U were very helpful getting me comped which was some years back

9 long years is what it took me to get comped but I'm at 100% T&P & Special Monthly Comp which I think is an L

Since I talked to U last the VA has decided I have Dementia & I also have a damn tumor on my

Liver. Actually 3 tumors The VA is shooting me up with TACE & I have had a couple of those & go back today to be checked They put this stuff in a vein near the groin area & I believe it's suppossed to go straight to the tumor

Oh ya, I guess the reason I got the Dementia tag is because I can't remember a darn thing Very frustrating to have that happen

Well, how has the world been treating U? I moved to Mesa,AZ as I have son who is a Lawyer in AZ. & I have my Daughter living with me who has a double Masters cause I believe I would forget to pay utilities. She does that for me I get frustrated very easy as I can't remember very much. Heck, I can watch a movie on the TV & then in a few hours I forget what it was about

Also, I'm going on 68 so that may be part of the problem with my memory

OK Thank U for replying to my question & I am very thankful for the help U gave me

Have seen on the Net where the VA has been caught doing bad things

I'm lurking in the background so I pretty well follow whats going on

Again.. Berta,Thank U for all the help U have given to me

GARY