VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Suggestions ?

Rate this question

devildog 71

Question

Hi All ;

Not sure how to word this , but let me try. I have been diagnosed with , and am currently being treated and on meds for the following:

- Emphysema

- PTSD

- Type 2 Diabetes

- Hypertension

I called a law firm specializing in SS Disability and explained all my problems to them , and was told that I definately qualify for SSD (I am 52 yrs old) HOWEVER , here is the problem - I am currently working - I do sedentary security work giving out visitor passes at a local hospital - but still use many sick days due to diabetic complications , mood disorders etc..Both my personal AND VA Dr's are willing to give me medical notes stating I am not able to even do this type of work - and the lawyer said SS WILL NOT approve anyone who is CURRENTLY employed - but like I told him , I HAVE NO CHOICE , as if I take my Dr's orders and quit working due to my disabilities , how the hell am I supposed to provide for my wife and two kids for the six months (OR LONGER) while waiting for my SS claim to be approved ??? After all , the rent still has to be paid , as the electric , utilities , and we have to eat . Unfortunately , my family and I have no one we can move in with to support us while I wait for the claim to be approved , and we have only a couple thousand in savings - which would only last about a month and a half if we used it to "survive" .

It's like a "double-edged sword" - the lawyer then sais , "Well , if you ever DO become unemployed ,give me a call ." My Brother got SSD for Diabetes with this same lawyer in about 7 months , BUT...my brother sold his house and was able to 'survive' on the profits until he was approved - hence , he didn't have to depend on any type of employment to survive.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get around this - it would be appreciated - as I'm sure there are MANY disabled people in the same situaation as me.

Thanks in advance... :D

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Devildog

I can see the spot you are in and the only thing I can think of is to begin saving for your disability if you can save any money at all. Do you have a IRA or 401-K. You can use that money while you wait but remember that you have to pay tax on it . Plan your disability just like planning to buy a house. Does your company offer a disability retirement.

Brandy,

I agree with JohnM. He is absolutely correct. Pain center and pain management is they key if you can afford it or get the referrals.

Pain causes not being able to sleep. No sleep means not being able to function. NO FUNCTION MEANS NO WORK.

Pain is the cause for sure, but no work ability is the effect of the pain.

Pain= no sleep=no function=no work.

Hang in there you can win this. Just think about the restrictions the pain is causing you. I know it's hard because pain is always on your mind and physically it is devastating.

you can do this.

jangrin :)

I am going to a pain management center. They have given me the steroid shot in my cervical spine and trigger point shots in my shoulders and back. They did not help my shoulders and neck but it did help my lower back a little. They also give me all of my pain medicine. I think they may have a problem with my age, Just because I am not close enough to retirement age. I think this may be the reason maybe, that the doctors did not give me a good enough report to SSDI the first time around.

Brandy

Jangrin

It is true that if you know that you are not going to be able to continue working the thing to do is to start to plan for disability. Most people don't want to face it, but this is the way to avoid a miserable long wait without money while your claims are worked on and accepted eventaully. Get that equity line of credit and pay off debts. If you can get some kind of disability insurance through work get it. Save your money and hunker down. The strategy of most disability programs is to just starve the applicant out and force them back into the work force. When the can see that your doctor says you cannot work and you have not worked for a year or so the odds go up in your favor.

Jangrin and devildog

I hope this is true for me as well. I have not worked since October 2005. Right now I am in the reconsideration stage. As I mentioned I checked the box for a case review since my pain had worsened and I could show this by physical therapy records (that I had to stop due to pain) and doctors had to increase my pain meds as well as my migraine meds. I am hoping this will do it. My husband has been disabled for nine years. He currently receives 30% compensation from VA and we are working on a new claim now that we started in December 2005. We have already went through our savings, my IRA's, etc. We have nothing left to pull from if needed. So needless to say, if we don't hear something soon from someone, I don't know what we are going to do.

Brandy