VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsc Pension From The Va

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

I have a friend that is on Social Security disability for a bad back and has not worked for several years. He is an Army Veteran. I saw in the post by Pipeman that he is drawing the NSC pension. Is it because he retired from the military or is availiable to all Veterans? Where is the information so I can help my friend. THANKS! Terry Sturgis

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

NSC pension is around $ 849 a month but is offset dollar for dollar of any other income including Social Security. Its a life saver for Veterans who have a low Social Security check and is based on disability or reaching age 65.

So if you know a Veteran who says is 65 and gets a Social Security Check and has no other income you can apply for NSC and get a few hundred more each month.

Terry,

The reason that I ended up with a NSC pension from the VA

was due to the fact that I have some disabling medical issues,

and by virtue of the fact that I am a vietnam era vet that

served during a time of war I am eligible for the (so called)

war pension because of no income. The NSC is a needs based

pension that takes into account what your available household

income is and considers what you have for dependents. In my

case because I have school aged children and spouse they are

considered in the monetary determination. There is a set amount

based on your dependents and then they subtract household income

and arrive at a monthly amount.

Hope that answerd your question.

• HadIt.com Elder

If my memeory serves me correctly, i think on order to qualify for a VA Non Service-connected Pension, a veteran must have served during a period of war and the disabilities must be total and permanent and not due to their miliraty service.

Vike 17

Guest terrysturgis

THANKS! This is the information that I needed. I really apreciate the link provided by Jangrin. The veteran is a Viet Nam vet so it appears he does qualify. Thanks again. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

My brother a Viet Nam Veteran gets this pension cause the VARO in Waco gave him hell over PTSD. To many hoops but he is happy with the $ 849 he gets every month. He lives in Mexico and his rent is free as he either stays at our sisters or he house sits for rich people and get free rent for doing it.

There is no don't in my mind that he should get a full 100% but I can't get him nor the VA to work together. So much for the vaunted VA outreach I bet he is not the only Veteran on this boat.