VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agoraphobia

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

I am ptsd tdiu t&p.

I think that I have agoraphobia but I am not sure.

I stay in most of the time because I get real anxious just thinking about having to go out.

I do go out sometimes, but I only last a short time before I begin to get anxious.

When I am out, I get a little anious sometimes and sometimes I get a full blown anxiety attack.

Over the past few years, I have told the VA docs about this.

Am I agoraphobic.

How would I file for agoraphobia as secondary to ptsd (I think I can do that)????

Any thoughts??

Thank you,

Mike

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Mike:

It sounds like you probably are, as that is how I feel on a everyday basis. I was also ptsd tdiu t&p, so file a claim for anxiety attacks with agoraphobia, secondary to your PTSD. I filed and received a C&P exam, without being told it was a C&P exam, but won my case, so they jumped me up to 100% scheduler, P&T after winning the case, to this day I never did find out how much percentage I got for them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike

I think you are agoraphobic and that you probably should ask for housebound even though you are not 100%. If the VA determines you are housebound they probably will bump you up to 100% schedular.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike:

Welcome to the club a lot of it are Members.

I was granted 100% with Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia. I don't thin it will do anything but make you a full 100% and lead to A&A. You probably should ask for it but remember it sows trigger a VA review of everything.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA cannot rate two or more mental conditions seperately. They would combine or 'lump' them together and rate the more disabiling condition. In your case I'm not sure if the agoraphobia without history of panic disorder (DSM-IV code 300.22) or Panic disorder with agoraphobia (DSM-IV code 300.21) would rate as more disabiling as your 70% PTSD (I assume you have 70% for PTSD because you stated that you have IU and didn't mention any other service-connected disabilities). Your shrink may also adjust your DSM-IV code number to simply reflect the additional condition (PTSD is 309.8_), which would mean that the fifth digit in the code would be changed to reflect the severity of the PTSD; .01 = Mild; .02 = Moderate; .03 = Severe Without Psychotic Features; .04 = Severe With Psychotic Features; .05 = In Partial Remission; .06 = In Full Remission; .00 = Unspecified. If this is done, it may in turn prompt the VA to award the next higher percentage, in your case 100%. However, you're already receiving IU, so I don't know what you would have to gain from claiming this. I don't think SMC/housebound is in the cards. Do you have any other servic-connected disabilities?

Vike 17