VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay

Rate this question

Me1984

Question

Wondering if any of you all would know the answer, I received my rating today on Ebennies granted 100% with the effective date of January 2014 will I get retroactive pay from then to now? Or does it depend on what they say in my rating decision?

Congrats, if this is your original claim then it will go back to when you filed. If you submitted for an Increase for your SC disabilities, then you will only get retro back to when the VA granted the 100%.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for all the congrats and great info. My effective date is October 2013 so 10mths of retro whooohoo

If your effective date is any day in October, 2013, you will receive nine months retro - ie: Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun & July. Aug will be paid on Aug 29, 2014, due to the Labor day holiday, falling on Sep 1. If you were receiving SC comp, for any other condition, prior to this award, they will reduce your retro payment, to recover any percentage paid during your claim processing period. In other words, if you were 30% prior to this award, they will reduce your retro payment by the amount paid for 30%, for the 9 months and on Aug 29, you will start receiving the full 100% rate.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

I thought that when you file any sort of claim your effective date is the date you filed the claim presuming you won the claim? In other words if you file for an increase, and you are denied and your claim is on appeal for five years the effective date for the increase should go back to the date you filed. When I filed for TDIU that is how it was even though I was denied on that claim and appealed and won. My ED was the date I filed the official form. Eventually on appeal I was given an EED based on a hospital admission in which I was given a GAF of 40. That was about 6 months before I filed the TDIU form, so I am confused about effective dates. The VA has made my effective date the date of a C&P exam. I appealed and the new ED was the date I filed the claim.

Thanks everyone,

John999 well I called the 800 number about the effective date and she stated to me that " because I went for a review and I was increased to 100% my effective date is the day that they decided on my increase" makes no sense to me at all. I think it's there way of not having to pay thousand of dollars in retro pay. I'm really confused by it all

Oh yes and that's what she said if I was to not have gotten an increase and I appealed and won it would date back but since I was increased with no problem no retro. I guess I do get it lol