VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam / Rating Questions

Rate this question

Patriot3g

Question

Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for awhile, figured I'd join in on the discussion. Last year I did an FDC claim for PTSD, after going to see a VA Pysch for almost a year (at the insistance of my family). She diagnosed me with PTSD, and encouraged me to go thru with a claim.

On the 7th I had my C&P exam. The doctor didn't ask very much....just if I was single, and why, if I drank a lot, etc. When I got up to leave after he was done (like 10 minutes), he said that the VA asked him to answer two questions: Do I have PTSD, and did my service in OIF cause it. He said he felt I had it, and that service in Iraq was the cause.

I forgot to do my in person authentication for Healthevet, so I just mailed in the form. I was just wondering if anybody here has any idea on what I might recieve as a rating, before I get the C&P exam results (hopefully soon).

When I submitted my claim, they asked me to fill out a form

"STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM FOR SERVICE CONNECTION FOR POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD)"

so I filled out two of them, one for the Battle of Zarqa. And one for the killing of my squad leader. I figured these would be the best two to put in my file, since they can be easily verified as true (squad leader was kinda famous, Zarqa was a huge fight).

I have my notes from the doctor that used to talk to me, and what she put in my file seems pretty convincing about PTSD and my service, but I guess I'm just stressed/worried/scared shitless that the VA will lowball me and give me 0% or something. I honestly have the worst luck with anything!

Thanks.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey guys,

I got a copy of my C&P Results in the mail today....I had to type it out, so I skipped some stuff. Let me know if you need more. I appreciate it.

The doctor had horrible spelling during my stressor description, etc. Hopefully that doesn't mean I have to go thru this all again :(

1. Diagnostic Summary

Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of PTSD that conforms to the DMS-5 criteria based on today's evaluation?

[X] Yes

ICD Code: PTSD

2. Current Diagnosis

a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: PTSD

4. Occupational and social impairment

[X] Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability

to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by medication.

2. History

a. Relevant Social/Maritial/Family history (pre-military, military, and post-military):

Pre military: Raised by both his parents and well adjusted socially

Military: served in US Army, had honorable discharge.

Post military: veteran is single, never married and lives with his parents, he does not feel

close to any body and prefers to be alone al the time, he avoids people and isolates

himself and he doesnt not have any social relationships.

b. Relevant Occupational and Education history

Pre Military: Completed 12th grade. no work history noted.

Military: served in US Army, was deployed in Iraq from July 2006-Nov 2007 and Aug 2009-Aug 2010.

Post Military: veteran went to school from 2011-2014 but did not get degree. Has been working in local paper mill for the past

one year.

c. Relevant mental health history:

Veteran recieved PTSD treatment at VAMC Albany NY from oct 2012 to april 2013, currently not in mental health treatment, no h/o hospitalisations and no h/o suicidal attempts noted.

3. Stressors.

<Too long to type>

Does this stressor meet criterion A (to support diagnosis of PTSD)

[X] yes

Is the stressor related to the veterans fear of hostile military or terrorist activity?

[X] Yes

Is the stressor related to personal assault

[X] No

4. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria

Criterion A

[X] Directly experiencing the traumatic events

[X]Witnessing, in person, the traumatic events

[X] Learning that the traumatic events occured to a close family member, close friend...

Criterion B

[X]Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the events

[X]Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s).

[X]Dissociative reactions (flashbacks)

[X]Intense of prolonged psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).

[X] Marked physiological reactions to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic events.

Criterion C

[X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts or feelings...

[X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations...)

Criterion D

[X]Inability to remember an important aspect of the traumatic event(s).

[X]Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world.

[X]Persistent, distorted congnitions about the cause or consequences of the traumatic events that lead to the individual to blame

himself/herself or others.

[X]Persistent negative emotional state

[X]Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.

[X]Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others

[X]Persistent inability to experience positivie emotions

Criterion E

[X]Irritable behavior and angry outbursts

[X]Reckless or self-destructive behavior

[X]Hypervigilance

[X]Exaggerated startle response

[X]Problems with concentration

[X]Sleep disturbance

Criterion F

[X]Duration of the disturbance is more than one month

Criterion G

[X] The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning

Criterion H

[X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance

5. Symptoms

[X] Depressed mood

[X]Anxiety

[X]Suspiciousness

[X]Panic Attacks that occur weekly or less often

[X]Chronic sleep impairment

[X]Disturbances of motivation and mood

[X]Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

[X]Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting

[X]Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships

8 Competency

Is the veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?

[X] Yes

Medical Opinion:

Restatement of requested opinion:

a. Opinion from general remarks: Provide opinion as to if it is as least likely as likely as not that PTSD is due to fear of hostile military activity:

b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: Initial PTSD

A. The Condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness.

Rationale: Veteran urrently meets criteria of PTSD, did not have PTSD before he joined service, while in service he was deployed in combat where he was exposed to

hostile military activity to which he responded with intense fear. This fear of hostile military activity meets criteria of a PTSD stressor which is an adequate stressor to support

a DX of PTSD.

I would speculate that

service connection of PTSD will be granted

with an evaluation anywhere between 10 and 50 percent.

Here is a link to the schedule of ratings for you.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=e69f0e6d3ab42a7d79e69bb1a81cd20f&node=se38.1.4_1130&rgn=div8

For a rating? Let me ask you a question? At the end of the C@P exam for PTSD did he give you a number to pick... If you didnt pick a number, forgot about getting rated you didnt get anything....

What are you talking about - never heard of such a thing.

You'll probably get somewhere between 10 and 50 percent as Carlie has said. It is hard to tell what percent that you will get. I had to keep filing for a rating increase to get to 50%. If you don't agree with it you can file a letter of disagreement.

Hopefully higher than 10%. This thing has dragged on for almost a year and it's sucked.

It just moved to the "prep for decision" phase. I'm freaking out waiting :(

You guys have any idea how long it takes to upgrade your Healthevet account to "premium"? I sent the form in the mail and faxed it. It's been a month and nada.