VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Mental

Rate this topic

Michelle

Hello Everyone,

Hello Berta:

Question for any of you. Just to recap my situation. I'm already 70% SC Combined Rating, (actually 90% but you know VA's math) 60% for Chronic Inflammatory Peripheral Polyneuropathy (in all extremities-Nerve Damage) and 30% for PTSD. I reopened my claim in Oct/05 and they dilly dallied around and finally told me that I needed a new C&P the last one I had was in 2004. At any rate I reopened my claim because my PTSD had gotten so bad that I was no longer able to work and due to the Nerve Damage. The C&P went well, the Psychiatrist told me to just consider it done and to get on with life. He was really a sweet man and I cried during the whole exam and he told me I was to consumed with trying to prove to VA that these conditions are permanent. He stated that they know my conditions are permanent or they wouldn't have rated me at 70% and I've had these conditions now for 10 years or should I say been diagnosed.

At any rate he told me not to worry about it anymore and to consider it over. I left his office feeling good about what ever he was going to say. I also found that in my last rating increase I was Diagnosed with "Major Depressive Disorder". I have not been getting paid separately for this disorder and didn't want to bring it up yet because they are just about done with my claim now. I have my NOD letter/facts all set and ready just in case and then I was going to bring up the "Major Depressive Disorder as well as they have not been compensating me for "Memory Loss" that the VA Examiner acknowledge.

So what does this sound like to you all. The Psychiatrist comments?

Thanks Guys/Ladies

Michelle

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is going to rate all your mental conditions together and the highest rating will be the one you get rated for. Like I have five different emotional conditions but they rate me 70% for Schizophrenia Residuals even though I don't have this problem but the VA sees it that way so as long as I get my money who cares. Actually, the schizophrenia diagnosis helped me because about 60% of those with this diagnosis get 100% or IU whereas in Florida where I live only about 18% get it for other mental conditions like PTSD or depression.

Michelle-dear veteran-good to see you here-

Have you formally applied for TDIU?

Did they say the depressive disorder is secondary to PTSD?

I will attach the TDIU form and if you haven't filed it yet- you could also state in a separate page (refer to this page under the # 25 Remarks section)- that you want them to consider you as Permanently and totally disabled by your service connected conditions.

On the attachment to # 25 tell them how the side affects of your SC meds render you unemployable -like causes drowsiness, causes confusion, do not operate heavy equipment , do not take and drive- etc.

If the VA ever turned you down for Voc Rehab due to your SC disabilties tell them that too.

And you can attach a copy of your annual SSA wage statement if you have it-to show loss of work.

I would attach all this to the NOD ad then refer to the TDIU form in the NOD.And tell them in the NOD that you fully intend to continue to appeal until the benefits that you seek are granted.

You havent gotten the decision yet- maybe the VA will do the right thing and grant you TDIU as an inferred issue.and maybe even P & T too-

I hope that doctor put his P & T remarks into the record. That would help you a lot.Have you gotten a copy of his C & P results yet?

Michelle, that is the highest rating for the Peripheral disease I have ever seen.

What does the VA attribute this to?

I am wondering why the cause of this has not been service connected ?

Do you have HBP or any heart problems or cholestrol problems? I sure hope not.

Sometimes this can be caused by hyperlipedimia-

the VA doesnt like to even rate this as they say it is a cholestrol symptom but I have seen cases were it was rated as secondary to other disabilities.

Have you ever had an MRI?

I only ask to see if there is some peripheral problem that could be causing the memory loss.

PN can affect nerves just about anywhere in the body.

I think this is why diabetics with PN can get silent heart attacks- they just dont feel the pain due to the PN.

I am sure glad that you fought their last decision and are anticipating a possible NOD will be needed.

Let's hope maybe you WONT need it -that can happen too!

Berta

Geez- I forgot the TDIU atttachement-

Maybe my avator should be the TDIU form!

I attach them to most of the NODs I help vets with.

TDIU_form.pdf

Thanks for the input Berta and everyone else. Yes Berta I am SC for both conditions. The PTSD and the Chronic Polyneuropathy. The Neuropathy they think is because my unit was near where the chemical agent Sarin and other Agents were released. There are so many things that I've found out about how the DOD and VA have been covering up in reference to all of the chemical, nerve agents. If any of you have never read these reports here are the links maybe it will help someone.

I didn't know I could get a copy of my C&P Results already. I applied for TDIU at the same time as asking for T&P due to unemployability. I don't think I'll have any problems now because they know that I've threatened to kill myself and if I hadn't stopped working I would have done the same thing to my boss. My last rating the examiner concurred with the PTSD, Chronic Perepheral Polyneuropathy, and then he stated the Veteran is also diagnosed with Major Depression Disorder in remission. He stated that I had mild memory loss but in my rating decision they didn't say anything about the Major Depressive Disorder and John maybe right they may just lump the Major Depression in with the PTSD. I also informed them that I am taking medication for Panic/Anxiety Attacks as well as I can't sleep only about 2-3 hours a night so I take something for that as well.

The PTSD is bad but it's the Nerve Damage that is the worse thing right now and I have had MRI's, Exams, and my civilian doctor had just ordered me to go for another Nerve Conduction Study and EMG. The person that performed the NCS/EMG also had performed the one that I had in 2004 and in 1996. The Nerve Damage has gotten considerably worse since 2004. My nerves are pinched off at the elbow so blood doesn't circulate well and then I also have Carpal Tunnel (Severe) due to the Polyneuropathy. I have the same things in both legs with Ulnar Neuropathy so when I sit to long (Maybe 15 Minutes) my legs, feet swell up and go numb, If I type for any lenght of time my fingers and hands swell up, if I stand up to long 10-15 min the same things happen in my legs, arms. Basically I can't sit, stand, walk, run, stoop, hold objects in my hand, or type for any length of time. I have to take a break/rest period every hour for about 30 minutes and then I have such anger toward people that I worked with and would blow up at the least little thing. No Supervisory wants an employee who has to rest, or prop my feet up every hour. My civilian doctor has stated the same things on paper and I have given that to the VA.

Plus, I did mention to them that my hair is falling out for no apparent reason, my teeth are just crumbling. I have had 3 Root Canals in the past 6 months and it just goes on and on. In my research I've found that a lot of Gulf War Veterans are having these problems. I would have had IU already when I got the increase to 70% Combined but I was still managing to drag myself in to work with killing anyone. But I had enough and continuing to loose strength in my hands, legs, feet.

I will attach the other information in my next email.

Michelle