VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych C@p Exam Help

Rate this question

sAhsley

Question

Hello everyone, Just to let you know im a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic... Ready, set, go

First off Its all a test... there are many great questions in this forum and plan on answering some.

Yes your psych C@P exam is just that one big test. First off let me ask you do you plan on driving to your C@P exam? You might want to think about this.Sure how can driving a car to your C@P exam hurt, you ask? Well you just demonstrated to the C@P examiner you can follow detailed instructions on how to get to his building... Plus you can drive a car and you need a liscence for that... That means you passed the DMV test. Ouch black marks on you already... I would have a family member drive you thier and he can wait out in the lobby... Somebody thats truly disabled would not be wearing their sunday best,,, As a matter of fact most mentally ill persons dont change their clothes, I dont... Yes the C@P examiner is going to notice what you are wearing from shoes to hat... Now you usually have two c@p exams, one medicAll and one psych at least i did...Wear the same clothes to both the exams... My schizophrenia has me on edge at all times... Sometimes i think to deeply into things... Anyway the first thing the C@P examiner is going to notice is any bizzare rituals such as closing the door three times before you sit down... Locking a door several times, ect... Its all a test designed by the goverment... Well i can go on and on... Food for thought. you got to think

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

sAhsley is basically right about the prep for VA mental health exam. The do look at your clothing, grooming, smell, eye contact and general appearance. One of the best strategies if you can stand it is to not bath for a few days and don't shave or comb hair. Women are usually neater than us guys so if a woman shows up with dirty hair and looking disheveled that means more than some of us guys who wear tea shirt and torn shorts in summer or even year round Now if you wear inappropriate clothing that scores points for being a basket case as well. I saw a guy waiting for exam wearing a shirt saying "I am not as crazy as I look". I don't know if it helped or hurt. The VA has protocol for mental illness and how you present yourself to the exam doctor is a pretty big factor. You don't have to fake it, but do your best to do your worst. The exam doctors usually say you are well groomed, good eye contact, oriented to time and space etc. This all hurts you and they do it by the numbers. If you sleep in your cloths for a few days and stay up all night drinking coffee before the exam you should have nice shaking hands by then. Score one for crazy vet! It is all a game and if the doctor is a human being you get lucky. If he is walking VA cash register they can guide you to destruction with leading questions about your childhood, teenage years, drug use, alcohol, trouble with legal system etc., before the military. I have been down both roads, maybe all three roads. These exam doctors will screw you in a second and look forward to it.

John

The examiners are professionals that do this every day. If they sense dishonesty you're done. Best just to be yourself but that doesn't mean hide your symptoms.

I'm just trying to give vets some info to ease the tension of their C@P exam... John999 is absolutly right, these doctors will screw you in a second.

Con the system, huh... No good sir, i'm not... Only the strong survive