VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Claim- Need Opinions

Rate this question

jstone14

Question

Hello all,

I currently have a claim pending for IBS due to my service in the Gulf War (associated with environmental hazard option for some reason). I have recently been diagnosed by my private physician as having IBS. As far as I am aware, I have met all of the presumptive requirements for claiming IBS (1. Diagnosis, 2. Service in Gulf War). I typed a statement in support of my claim stating I have met all of the requirements for IBS as being a presumptive disability related to the Gulf War.

I had my private physician fill out a DBQ for me regarding this claim, but it wasn't filled out in a way that would help my claim at all. In the DBQ, he stated I developed IBS symptoms in the "early teenage years" and date of diagnosis >10 years. I never saw him for IBS issues, and I am currently 27 years old. The DBQ states I am currently taking a trial prescription and that I have "episodes of bowel disturbance with FREQUENT abdominal issues 7 or more attacks within the past 12 months. In my statement I sent the VA, I expressed that IBS issues did not occur until during and after my service in Iraq. The DBQ and my statement contradict each other by the way the form was filled out. I will not be sending in the DBQ for obvious reasons.

My questions is this. I need to show the VA that I have been diagnosed by my doctor as having IBS. Would you suggest releasing authorization for the VA to access my private physician records to verify the diagnosis, as well as not send in the DBQ I got from him? I have the diagnosis and want the VA to connect the diagnosis and my service in Gulf War. Both of which I have been told are the two requirements for presumptive disability, and no service connected proof is needed.

Thanks for the help.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I would not send in the DBQ bud. Yes you should release the Civilian Medical Records, but you should get a VA DR bud. I have Crohn's Disease as a result of Parasites while in South America and OIF/OEF found in Stomach and caused the Disease. I was diagnosed at 27, and actually going to have my Colon removed soon. God Bless and good luck. Keep us posted.

I wouldn't submit the dbq. The cp exam the va will will either give you or won't give you the needed diagnosis bid wait for cp first. If that doesn't pan out then plan on other avenues. Jmho

Edited by JT24usn

I wouldn't submit the DBQ...also I would get a personal copy of my private physician's medical records and see what is in them before I released them to the VA. You should see what he has documented about you first.