Jump to content
  •  

    Get Your HadIt.com Merch.

    2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

    Check them out here

  • 0

Navy Vet Seeking Information On Ptsd


rschafrick

Question

Hello fellow veterans and thank you for your service. I have been reading the forums on PTSD and the stressors that are related to them. I have not been able to find the answer I am looking for. I have an QTC exam this month. I am currently rated at 50% for depression and 20% for scars and lower back problems for a total of 70%. In all that i have read the PTSD must relate to combat, POW, death, plane wreck etc. I was in the USN from 1984 to 1988. I was a search and rescue swimmer and received hazardous duty pay for this. This was during peace time no wars. During my time i made 3 rescues. The first was in the Straits of Magellan where a man over occurred and i was sent out to rescue the man who fell overboard and the swimmer from another ship that went out in a Helio. One made it one did not. I have never gotten over this and continue to relive the events that took place that day. I lose sleep, I have a CPAP. I wake up, and sometimes i am pushing and fighting with my wife. I have not hurt yet. But i am afraid i might. I received the highest non combat medal given during peace time i am told. The Navy Marine Corps Medal of Heroism. It is on my DD 214. Can I make a claim for PTSD during peacetime?. Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Can you also tell me the requirements for the levels of depression. When I go to the QTC appt. Do i mention the search and rescue accidents and the problems with sleep and dreams and almost hurting my wife on many occasions? Your help is appreciated! I am not sure what i should do. I thought it was PTSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hello fellow veterans and thank you for your service. I have been reading the forums on PTSD and the stressors that are related to them. I have not been able to find the answer I am looking for. I have an QTC exam this month. I am currently rated at 50% for depression and 20% for scars and lower back problems for a total of 70%. In all that i have read the PTSD must relate to combat, POW, death, plane wreck etc. I was in the USN from 1984 to 1988. I was a search and rescue swimmer and received hazardous duty pay for this. This was during peace time no wars. During my time i made 3 rescues. The first was in the Straits of Magellan where a man over occurred and i was sent out to rescue the man who fell overboard and the swimmer from another ship that went out in a Helio. One made it one did not. I have never gotten over this and continue to relive the events that took place that day. I lose sleep, I have a CPAP. I wake up, and sometimes i am pushing and fighting with my wife. I have not hurt yet. But i am afraid i might. I received the highest non combat medal given during peace time i am told. The Navy Marine Corps Medal of Heroism. It is on my DD 214. Can I make a claim for PTSD during peacetime?. Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

Welcome.

Sure you can submit a claim for SC of PTSD.

The VBA only compensates one evaluation for mental health disorder/s.

Other's will probably chime in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

Since you are already 50% for depression I would try and get that rating bumped up instead of reinventing the wheel. You probably have PTSD, but you have to open up an entire new kettle of fish for a PTSD claim and you will probably get the same rating if not less. Are you able to work? That is the big question for mental health disorders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Welcome to Hadit. Great advice given above by Carlie and John.

Good luck to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thank you for the response to my question. The 50% depression is a temporary rating as far as i know. If i go for a rate increase for depression how should i proceed. I have had 7 jobs in 4 years in florida. Some where bad to the point of bad thoughts. It is also hard to find a job that pays anything with insurance for family of 5 that does not aggravate my other VA related conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thank you for the response to my question. The 50% depression is a temporary rating as far as i know. If i go for a rate increase for depression how should i proceed. I have had 7 jobs in 4 years in florida. Some where bad to the point of bad thoughts. It is also hard to find a job that pays anything with insurance for family of 5 that does not aggravate my other VA related conditions.

Can you also tell me the requirements for the levels of depression. When I go to the QTC appt. Do i mention the search and rescue accidents and the problems with sleep and dreams and almost hurting my wife on many occasions? Your help is appreciated! I am not sure what i should do. I thought it was PTSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Definitely mention all that you referenced above. The requirements for the different ratings can be found in 38 CFR part 4. Just look under the "mental disorders" subsections.

Good luck to you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines