VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Navy Vet Seeking Information On Ptsd

Rate this question

rschafrick

Question

Hello fellow veterans and thank you for your service. I have been reading the forums on PTSD and the stressors that are related to them. I have not been able to find the answer I am looking for. I have an QTC exam this month. I am currently rated at 50% for depression and 20% for scars and lower back problems for a total of 70%. In all that i have read the PTSD must relate to combat, POW, death, plane wreck etc. I was in the USN from 1984 to 1988. I was a search and rescue swimmer and received hazardous duty pay for this. This was during peace time no wars. During my time i made 3 rescues. The first was in the Straits of Magellan where a man over occurred and i was sent out to rescue the man who fell overboard and the swimmer from another ship that went out in a Helio. One made it one did not. I have never gotten over this and continue to relive the events that took place that day. I lose sleep, I have a CPAP. I wake up, and sometimes i am pushing and fighting with my wife. I have not hurt yet. But i am afraid i might. I received the highest non combat medal given during peace time i am told. The Navy Marine Corps Medal of Heroism. It is on my DD 214. Can I make a claim for PTSD during peacetime?. Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Can you also tell me the requirements for the levels of depression. When I go to the QTC appt. Do i mention the search and rescue accidents and the problems with sleep and dreams and almost hurting my wife on many occasions? Your help is appreciated! I am not sure what i should do. I thought it was PTSD.

Hello fellow veterans and thank you for your service. I have been reading the forums on PTSD and the stressors that are related to them. I have not been able to find the answer I am looking for. I have an QTC exam this month. I am currently rated at 50% for depression and 20% for scars and lower back problems for a total of 70%. In all that i have read the PTSD must relate to combat, POW, death, plane wreck etc. I was in the USN from 1984 to 1988. I was a search and rescue swimmer and received hazardous duty pay for this. This was during peace time no wars. During my time i made 3 rescues. The first was in the Straits of Magellan where a man over occurred and i was sent out to rescue the man who fell overboard and the swimmer from another ship that went out in a Helio. One made it one did not. I have never gotten over this and continue to relive the events that took place that day. I lose sleep, I have a CPAP. I wake up, and sometimes i am pushing and fighting with my wife. I have not hurt yet. But i am afraid i might. I received the highest non combat medal given during peace time i am told. The Navy Marine Corps Medal of Heroism. It is on my DD 214. Can I make a claim for PTSD during peacetime?. Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

Welcome.

Sure you can submit a claim for SC of PTSD.

The VBA only compensates one evaluation for mental health disorder/s.

Other's will probably chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you are already 50% for depression I would try and get that rating bumped up instead of reinventing the wheel. You probably have PTSD, but you have to open up an entire new kettle of fish for a PTSD claim and you will probably get the same rating if not less. Are you able to work? That is the big question for mental health disorders.

Welcome to Hadit. Great advice given above by Carlie and John.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the response to my question. The 50% depression is a temporary rating as far as i know. If i go for a rate increase for depression how should i proceed. I have had 7 jobs in 4 years in florida. Some where bad to the point of bad thoughts. It is also hard to find a job that pays anything with insurance for family of 5 that does not aggravate my other VA related conditions.