VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi And Long Term Disability Insurance

Rate this question

Mikemmlj

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It'll depend on your policy. It isn't considered "earned income" and should have no effect on other disability payments. Most long term policies require that you apply for SSDI, within a couple of yrs (usually 2yrs) and they will even help you get SSDI and once you have SSDI, they reduce the long term payment or completely cancel it. Check your policy to be sure.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Many Insurance guarantee an income that is more than you will get from Social Security. After a couple of years they will require to a[[l;y for SSD and if you get it they will only pay the difference.

Good Luck

PS If you get the SSD they don't make you pay anything back

When I applied to SSDI I reported the income I was getting from my LTD insurance. It wasn't a hinderance to getting SSDI approved. However, some LTD Insurance Companies consider SSDI an "offset" to their coverage. What this meant to me, is once I was approved and recieved a retro check from SSDI, I had to pay the entire amount back to the LTD carrier.

If you pay for LTD with pre-tax money it will be taxable income, if you pay after taxes are taken out it is considered non taxable. My wife has been on LTD since 6/2013, was turned down on first application and is appealing the decision now.