VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Cannabis

Rate this topic

a little late to this discussion, but I can tell you what MY experience was with the VA/Medical cannabis.

I am a service connected veteran who is suffering from stage 4 osteoarthritis in my knee due to service connection. I have what the doc calls "breakout" pain. This is different from my every day, "hey, you have no cartilege in your knee, you're bone on bone, and chips hit your nerves" pain.. My doc did NOT want to get me started on heavy pain killers but the VA would NOT replace my knee until I hit 50.. Doc said to me-- "I don't know what your feelings are about cannabis, but if you are willing to TRY it, I would suggest it so that I don't have to put you on Oxy"..

That was over 5 years ago. I don't use it every day, no, but I use it when necessary.

According to my doc, the VA CANNOT deny you other pain meds if you are using medical marijuana, and unless you are having surgery, they don't test for it, either.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Suddenly Veterans everywhere will come down with a case of the munchies and a desire to listen to Jimi Hendrix and watch Cheech & Chong reruns.

USA government does not approve of medical MJ and neither does the VA. If MJ shows up in your urine or bloodwork at the VA you have a problem.

The VA would need a valid reason to test for it in your blood work or urine, and they don't. They're not going to waste the time, money and resources to look for marijuana in the typical blood work that most people get. The VA has no authority to regulate veterans smoking marijuana to the best of my knowledge.

Just a heads up.

When the VA does lab work - they will be testing for whatever the doc tells them to

and they don't need your permission.

Docs don't usually do routine testing for anything, unless they feel there is a reason to.

jmho

BTW - Im voting yes on the Florida ballot for MMJ, Nov 2nd.

Got my ballot by mail already.

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife disperses VA government paid for cannibas at the VA in Richmond. It is in a gel pill form, and they have had some amazing results, and the benefits to the Vets are by far above those on Parma Meds with the same issues.