VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Be Charged For The C&p Exam?

Rate this question

jseale

Question

I noticed today is a that the payments section is showing a check was mailed in the amount of $0.00. I always receive my current c&p payments through direct deposit. When I click on that payment it shows the amount that the check would have been, and then shows a deduction for that same amount (which wasn't much). It says the type of deduction is: "Medical Care Cost Recovery Receivable Repayment" with the reason: 'Establish Recurring Deduction'. I have no clue what this is supposed to mean. I have no co-payments, and don't owe the VA any money (as far as I know). Anybody know what this could be for? I do know that when checking in the 'download VA letters' section, my rating has not changed yet. Don't know why this payment would have been sent out, much less as a paper check.

So I called the VA about this payment... all she could tell me is that a medical institution that had to do with the VA sent a bill. The VA rep could not tell me anything about the bill, but that I am having to pay for it. I have not been to any other medical 'anything' except through the VA, except when it was contracted for me to do my C&P exam. Could they be charging me for this C&P exam? Do they usually charge the vets for this? She said that my September payment is showing that I will be receiving $0. Did I miss something here?

I have not been seen for anything outside of the VA, except when VES setup my C&P exam.

Sorry for such a long post for my very first post. Just trying to get some input from anyone about this.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You should not be charged for a C & P exam ordered by your VA regional office as the result for a claim you filed with their office. Also, you should receive travel pay from the VA when you travel to a C & P exam. However, you do have to submit a claim for the travel pay.

Any bills you receive from the VA might be your required co-payments for treatment at the VA medical facilities. If you have a rating of 50% or higher! you do not have to pay co-payments. Co-payments may be waived for veterans with lower ratings if they have a financial hardship.

I have already received the travel pay. The C&P was contracted through VES.

So how can I find out what the payment was for? The vet rep that I spoke with said that she couldn't tell me who or even what the payment was for.

jseale,

I should have taken the time to read your post better before I responded. I do not know the answer to your question. Hopefully others on this site can help.

Good luck.

Whoa, Hoss! You will have to pay a deductable and copay for VA care UNLESS you meet the required percentage of disability OR, you have done a means test that shows low income. The VA will automatically think you are rich and can afford copayments if you do NOT do a means test proving otherwise. I think its 50 percent, so at 10 percent, you will have to do a copay/deductable if your income is above the poverty level. Yes, they take those copays and deductables from tax returns or anything else where they can get it.

If you have not been recieving bills for the copayments, they may not have your correct address. Remember, the right hand of VA does not know what the left hand is doing, so you may have the right address for benefits, but wrong address for medical or vice versa.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but for a C&P there should be no charge. As this exam is to check the validity of conditions claimed by a claimant the VA is responsible for the cost of the exam at no charge to the claimant.