VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus Claim

Rate this question

onrope

Question

I was discharged in 92. I was an armorer practically my entire time in the service. I spent many days of support on the rifle, pistol and M203 and MG ranges especially prior to deployment to Desert Storm. Then I logged over 10000 miles in a 2 1/2 ton truck. All of this often without hearing protection. When I discharged I already had ringing in the ears.

I sought assistance in 1994. Was turned away because I needed an appointment. VA was 70 miles one way and I was unemployed. Same happened in 1997 happened while I was seeking help for Gulf War issues. I filed again in 2003. Paperwork was lost. Unfortunately I didn't know about VSO or anything like that.

Today I'm a little more educated. I have been set up in the VA system and have been regularly visiting the CBOC as my primary medical care. I had my GW Registry and complained of tinnitus.

My tinnitus is so bad that is keeps me awake at night. The doc at the registry exam set me up for an audiology test. I found I have 80% loss in one ear and 40% in the other. I have never worked in a noisy environment and am only 43. Prior to entry I had perfect hearing.

I have filed a claim for tinnitus. I'm certain due to remembering being nearly deaf on those days after the ranges that it's service connected. But I am wondering if I'm wasting my time in a claim. How to prove its S/C? I have a driver badge, and an accommodation medal that proves I was an armorer. I should be able to get a buddy letter.

Any other tips?

Edited by onrope

Your entrance audiogram and your exit audiogram. Your results have had to change for worse from beginning of service to end of service!!!

Also their it a noise exposure list on this forum. It breaks it down to branches of service then occupation in each service and then the exposure element, low, middle, high.

Then need keep going to PCP complaining of ringing in ear. Ask for an audiogram test. That test will be even worse in decibel levels and word recoginition.

Take all that and submit an FDC claim on ebenefits and ask for a c&p exam.

I was denied after service in 1998, again in 2008. then this forum helped a lot and I finally re applied in January 2014/and won and granted in July 2014.

That's the only thing they granted though, so now I'm in process of figuring out to reconsider, nod, cue or something for all others that got denied.

Biggest trick is when they asked you when it started say during service. I don't know how many I saw denied because the vet said they remember it started a few years after service. Jmho

Please note that tinnitus and hearing loss are two separate issues, therefore, two separate claims. You can have hearing loss without tinnitus, but you can't have tinnitus without hearing loss. Also, there is no formal test to measure tinnitus, whereas there is certainly formal testing to determine the extent of hearing loss.

Thanks. I just had the audiogram at the VA. That's where they determined my hearing loss. I haven't been medically released yet as I have to see an ENT in sept. I never did have an exit audiogram.

I felt my hearing was fine, it is the ringing that I can't stand. The audiologist said I have suffered a lot of hearing loss for my age. Tinnitus is what I filed for. Not hearing loss. Nice info to know.

I just found the MOS noise exposure list. My listed primary MOS is in the moderate category. But armorer is not. This is where I feel I suffered the greatest damage.

Edited by onrope

Please note that tinnitus and hearing loss are two separate issues, therefore, two separate claims. You can have hearing loss without tinnitus, but you can't have tinnitus without hearing loss. Also, there is no formal test to measure tinnitus, whereas there is certainly formal testing to determine the extent of hearing loss.

Not entirely true. I was denied hearing loss and got 10% for tinnitus.

I worked right underneath the flight deck right by the arresting gear. For good measure I slept by the catapults for part of my enlistment. My Rate/MOS was low risk and I failed the hearing test three times when I separated. Still just got the 10% tinnitus and denied HL on first try. So it is possible to get just tinnitus. Jmho

Edited by JT24usn