VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

Hello,

I was just awarded 10% for Tinnitus and 0% for bilateral hearing loss. I feel blessed to get this but should I appeal. I have been out of the USCG since 1972. I opened my claim August 2013 for these issues and one other that I have got to get more proof of.

SC was granted for both hearing and Tinnitus but I assume they felt the hearing wasn't bad enough? The ENT that performed my C&P said that I was a certain candidate for hearing aids. My personal Doctors records indicated long term hearing & tinnitus issues back to the 70's and he provided a Nexus letter that indicated that. My service exit exam indicated only a whisper test was done? Funny I don't even remember that.

I really have two questions, I have sleep apnea and have used a bi-pap for the last 15 years, however that does not help me when I can't fall asleep due to the constant ringing that has gotten worse over time. Also when I do wake at night it makes it difficult to go back to sleep and sometimes I don't. That requires me to take a prescribed stay awake pill when I have the bad nights. Is there no consideration for that?

Also based on the ENT's comment of me benefiting from hear aids should I appeal for the hearing loss?

I was getting nowhere until I went through the DAV and the VSO was awesome, but it is difficult for me to get to see or communicate with him.

Don

Have you ever been injured because of your hearing loss, like hit by a car, or walked in front of someone pushing a shopping cart that you didnt hear coming? stepped out of your car because you couldnt hear it running and it ran over your foot? Injure your head while ordering at Mc Donalds because you couldnt hear the lady speaking thru the Pa system and you leaned so far out to hear herv you fell out of your car?

Seriously, you may try to get ahold of your in service medical records and have someone go thru them, and see what claims you may have that are plausible and winnable.