VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unepectedly Received ~800 Pages Of Documents From My File

Rate this question

just a guy

Question

Hi,

This is weird and I'm not sure what to make of it, or even where to post this.

I had a DRO review in June 2013 in Roanoke, VA. I am pending a BVA board. Date TBD. No # yet.

I received an enormous package addressed to me via US mail from the Roanoke office. This package includes about 800 pages of documents relating to my claims.

Many of them have receipt stamps on the front or back from the receiving VA office. Some have the two holes at the top as though they were in some VA c-file. They appear to be originals and not photocopies.

What am I to do with this, and what if anything does it mean?

Was this some kind of VA internal mistake and they were not supposed to go to me?

As usual, no one at Roanoke will answer my calls or emails.

Thanks,

j-a-g

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I had a mysterious package arrive from the VA just like this, but it was only about 200 pages. It happened towards the end of my last claim. I had seen the DRO and they said I would receive the BBE in the mail about 1-2 months later. Opening the mailbox revealed a thick BBE, but when opened it was just copies of some documents I had submitted with no cover sheet or anything, but nothing from 10 or 20 years ago. A couple of days later my real BBE arrived.

A while back I made a request for a copy of my C-File. It arrived months later without warning via US Mail and was left in a couple of cardboard boxes on my doorstep. It included an official cover page in each box indicating they fulfilled my request. Each box contained copies of papers that were rubber-banded together in reams about 3" thick each.

Just in case folks here have never seen a C-file before, below is a picture I found online. Each of the brown outer envelopes is referred to as a volume. Sometimes C-files can consist of multiple volumes. If you got one of these in the mail, it would definitely make me wonder if they sent you the actual C-file by mistake.

VAOIG-12-00244-241.jpg

The two holes at the top about 3 1/2 inches apart will appear as black spots indicating it came out of a c-file (old-fashioned) like the ones in photo above. Mine was wheeled in on a cart for my BVA Travel Board hearing in April 2011. It was seven individual folders and stacked up came to about 20 inches tall. 3715 pages. They contracted with an outfit in Janesville, Wisconsin (the cheese people) to do the digitizing. See it in living color.

See attached from my RBA (c-file) that went to the CAVC in 2012. Note the two holes.

post-12899-0-20453900-1409967960_thumb.j

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Asknod, Are you sure that picture in my previous post is not your c-file? :biggrin:

they may have to bring my file in on a forklift .

Asknod,

I appreciate that. However, one point of correction. The two holes are actual holes. They are not photocopies of holes. The "received" stamps are the actual stamps. None of this is photocopies. These are the real deal.

Makes me nervous as hell. What happened to my file? what happened to my claim?

If they don't know its missing how screwed am I?

The C-File I received back in July of this year was about 1200 pages, and also came in a cardboard box, via U.S. Mail. These were all copies, and each page had a "watermark" type background that said, "C FILE FROM VET" all the way down each sheet. The documents were copied front and back, and the background watermark was on every page.

Of course, included in this was 89 pages of medical records from other veterans.

Mine was expected because I had requested it way back in February of 2013.

Mark