VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Post Concussion Syndrome Vs. Tbi

Rate this question

Nineteendelta

Question

Hello all, I am pretty new to this site. I just received my denial letter for tbi and headaches secondary to tbi. I take two meds for my headaches prescribed by va neurologist and have been seeing va speech path For help my memory problems. I was denied because they said I didn't have a diagnoses of tbi, I do however have a diagnosed of post concussion syndrome. From what I have read the two are the same thing or am wrong?

Not sure if this post is still followed or relevant, but I wanted to post this to help anyone looking for more on this issue. I too was rated for post concussive syndrome in 1994. I received a tiny increase to 30% in 2006. In 2009 I received this letter (I cut off my personal information). I filled the forms out ant sent it back but never heard about it again. I have submitted the letter to see if it would help with my current claim but I’m still waiting. Hope it helps.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is concerned about veterans who experienced head
injuries during military service.
Our recurds show that you received a disability rating for a
service-connected traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Recent medical studies focusing on TBI now provide a more thorough understanding of this
disability and the symptoms associated with it. VA responded to these studies by developing
new criteria for evaluating TBI disability levels and the compensation payments associated
with them. The new evaluation criteria became effective October 23, 2008.
You may have been rated before the new criteria became effective. If you still have residual
symptoms, you may be re-examined based on the new criteria. This examination may result
in a compensation increase even though your condition has not changed. You can request this
examination through your local regional office on the enclosed VA Form 21-4138, Statement
in Support of Claim. If you qualify for increased compensation, the increase may be paid up
to one year retroactively, but not before October 23, 2008, when the new criteria went into
effect.
As a disabled veteran, you may also be eligible for vocational rehabilitation benefits. The
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) Program can help you prepare for, get, and
keep a suitable job. If you are too seriously disabled to work, the program can help you learn
to live more independently. For more information, including how to apply, please review the
enclosed forms,
"Important Information about Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits,
" and the
"Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation."
Contact your local VA regional office or veterans service organization representative for
additional information. You may also telephone the VA information line toll-free at
1-800-827-1000.
Sincerely,
CHERYL R. FLOHR
VETERANS SERVICE CENTER MANAGER
Enclosure:
VAF 21-4138
VAF 28-1900
VAF 28-8890

• HadIt.com Elder

You may have an open claim that has not been decided. I would contact a few of the law firms mentioned on Hadit for evaluation .

Could be significant back pay if you submitted additional evidence and they did make a decision.

I have asked about it and nothing has been found. It was out of Baltimore MD, but my area of MD falls under Washington DC. So I kept the paper because I didn’t know how else to follow it. I posted it to my current claim in hope they might check into it. This recent effort to get benefits changed to the right SC disabilities has been a mess. It currently seems to be looked at by someone who knows the regulations, so I don’t want to jump too fast. It takes me a long time to type things out and line up my thoughts. I want to see how it goes by giving them the benefit of doubt in hope they are doing the same. I have nothing but time sitting here waiting. Having more time then money, I’m going to hope for the best!

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if they are truely working on it and then you get a decision that is low balled or denied, you have a year to appeal. But I'm not sure I'm in the same boat about assuming you should give them "the benefit of doubt". When they are evaluating a claim and the favorable decision would result in significant back pay, the VA has a nack of getting really good in-house legal scruitany. Best of luck Kitkat going forward on this.

My doctor got involved this time. I just had an exam last week I think. I have no clue what it was for but my son tells me he thought it went well. I always do better when he is with me.

This claim started off as just trying to resubmit my claim and I think they changed it to a review and kept all my past paperwork submitted to the current one. That gave me some hope.