VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Defense Contractor Service Connected On Army Terminal Leave?

Rate this question

Jundie

Question

I have read a couple different definitions of what is considered service connected. I have always thought that I could not service connect my PTSD because I was a defense contractor in Iraq not a solider. The VA was nice enough to treat me. Actually they were a little too excited to treat me. I was basically confirming their belief that there were all this veteran contractors out there not getting treatment for PTSD. This was way back in 2005. VA diagnosed with me PTSD. This may be a stretch but I was actually on Terminal Leave from the Army for my first week in Iraq as a Defense contractor. My second day on the ground, Mortar attack that killed 18 detainees. Some expert feedback on this one would really be appreciated.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was a contractor for Intelligence Command (Army) and they required my TC/SCI clearance with Poly. I was in service to the Army as a contractor. So your arguement is that the Army did not know they were hiring a soldier despite having my Social and clearance? All military intellignece jokes aside, the Army has to auithorize you to go in country. The only way your logic would hold up is I lied to the Army about being in the Army.

Thinking about this, a couple of questions/possibilities occurred to me...

The question of whether you were "still in service" or "on active duty", yes, until the official date of separation that shows on your DD-214, you were active US Military... Government Issue. What ever happened between your entry date and separation date occurred while on active duty, except for anything that could be considered "Bad Time" - AWOL etc. This could be the case if there is some reg about venturing into a hazard zone while on Military leave. While I was in Germany in the Army in the early 80's a friend was ETS'ing in country to stay with his German wife. They were making plans to go to East Berlin before his terminal leave was over, but Army intelligence stopped them. Said if the East Germans caught him he would be considered a spy and probably be tried, convicted, and executed. Things may have changed since the 80's and your situation is different, but something to think about...

While you were a contractor, did you receive Hazard Pay or Hazardous duty Pay? If you did, the powers that be may consider that Hazard Pay as having "covered" any possible issues or injury that could be suffered. An alternate path in that case would be to apply for Workman's Compensation. Although it may be to late to file for that now, I don't know the rules for that type of claim.

And... If the mental health personnel that diagnosed your PTSD believe it to be "sufficiently incapacitating" SSI/SSDI...?

Just rambling thoughts, I didn't attempt to think all that through so if I missed something or misunderstood something, please forgive.

According to fed smith.com, you can be n terminal leave pending separation/discharge from the military and accept a civilian position with the government anywhere in the USA or in its territories or possessions and you would still be considered active duty until your actual discharge date. However, nothing is mentioned on the website about working as a contractor or working in an area outside of the USA or its territories or possessions. Perhaps a US military base in a foreign country would be considered a US possession.