VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Esophageal Stricture Secondary To Gerd

Rate this question

jdman

Question

I am 90% SC(93 technically). I am SC for GERD/IBS at 30%. I filed a claim for ES secondary to GERD back in 11/2013.

Does having your Esophagus dialated constitute a diagnosis of ES? Part of my claim for GERD was dysphagia. I have also read that GERD causes ES. Just wanted to get thoughts on getting SC for ES.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"Part of my claim for GERD was dysphagia. I have also read that GERD causes ES. Just wanted to get thoughts on getting SC for ES."

There is definitely a connection and I think we have one or two ES vets here who also have gerd.

But in this fairly recent BVA case, the rating criteria is there and it seems the dysphagia and dilation was limped in with the rating.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1310867.txt

Best to check out the VA Schedule of Ratings here to see what you need medically for a higher rating.

I have been rated 30% percent for GERD. All that ES and dysphagia is rated in part with the 30%. Be careful when you are requesting for an increase because you can get reduce. If you have 30% for GERD LEAVE IT ALONE. FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO GET YOU TO THE 95%-100%.

REDDIT

Edited by Reddit

I started out with 30% for Gerd and stricture. Then I developed a Hiatal Hernia which increased me to 60%. Let me tell you this, having this condition is no joke. It limits what you eat, when you eat and so forth. My quality of life is not good because you belch all the time,have substernal pain, then I developed asthma secondary to this. I developed this from when I was in the Navy and had to eat fast all the time never able to digest food properly. Then on my exit physical before I got out, I complained. Good thing I did then because trying to prove this is a headache if you dont have a paper trail. Good luck to you and fight it when you have to.

Greetings everyone I have been here off and on and just now decided to post First let me say never never give up. The va lost my records for over 35 years. Wrong social number put in back in the seventies. Cleared up 2011. So maybe I can chime in on es. My recent claim for secondary conditions in relationship sc Laryngeal cancer currently ruled at 30% residuals. I filed 4 secondary contentions 1. Es my throat is narrowing because of the radiation treatments. 2. GERD 3. Facial nerve damage a very rare late effect. and 4. Sleep apnea. This is my third claim. first we did the cancer no problem rated 30% after temp 100% for six monthes. Filed a second claim for increase due to fev reduction due to Laryngeal Stricture denied for pyramiding. The c@p for the current claim was tuesday . Of the four contentions the ES was not brought up but the GERD was bounced due to a prior treatment in early 2011 before we found the cancer. As to the nerve damage favorable and the Sleep Apnea favorable We are very fortunate to have some very good C@P Examiners at the Charleston VA . I can assume that ES is combined with the GERD exam I would appreciate any imput with neck radiation it is not so much Gerd as it is the weaking of the wall of the esophagus . Also I have read hundreds of citations on sleep apnea appeals and actually got a fairly straight forward reply from this examiner. If the in service records can not prove it that rule of thumb is from the nose to larynx for osa and TBI or other central nerve condition for mixed or central. PTSD DMII and others are hard to get due proximity for osa. Just information for thought Good Luck and God Bless You All