VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Starting On The Long Road

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Hi Everyone,

I've been stalking on this site for awhile but thought I should share with you how the VA has turned into my new friend!

First, a bit of personal history...I spent 7 years in the Army as a medic and 13 years in the Navy in Cryptology. While in the Army, my first tour out of training was Viet Nam with an Infantry unit. Spent 7 months in the field, caught malaria and by the time I got over that it was time to go home. I was there in 1969 and left a year later in 1970. I was awarded the CMB within 3 weeks of being in-country...saw a lot of crap no 20 year old should have to see.

This past May I had a heart attack and a stent was placed in a single artery. While recovering, I did a ton of research trying to figure out why it happened to me and found the AO thing so went to the VA and filed. I have my C & P on Monday, the 15th of September. Have no idea what I might get. I guess it depends on the tests they'll be doing (METS?). I am on drugs for the rest of my life so I think that's good for at least 10%.

Anyway, more research led me to think PTSD may have caused the heart problems. I know I have it but just played superman for all of these years. So, I signed up as a patient in the medical system and just got referrals to ENT to check on tinnitis (something else I've had for years but ignored) and also referred to the PTSD Clinic at the medical center. I'm hoping once I get diagnosed with PTSD I can use VA doctors for help with it and also file for disability. At 65 years old I think it might be time for me to get normal again (or at least heading in that general direction).

If I don't bore you to death I'd like to post up-dates as the PTSD claim progresses. I think it might help other older vets that it isn't too late to file for disability. I'm sure there will be a lot of ups and downs but just keeping my eyes on the goal line.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

CRDP is automatic
(meaning VA is supposed to send the rating info to DFAS )

CRSC is explained here at Military.com and they have CRDP CRSC stuff in their discussion forums.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/comparing-crsc-and-crdp.html

We have CRDPers and CRSCers here as well and some info here in this past thread:

I am glad that claim is moving fast.

Thanks Berta and others! So much to learn and get through and this site is such a great resource. Just to keep you all updated...I called for appointments yesterday (after getting referrals from my Primary) to ENT for a tennitis diagnosis and the PTSD Clinic to get evaluated. The ENT appointment is for next week (that was fast) but the PTSD Clinic can't see me until the 28th of October. The PTSD appointment, I'm told, will last about three hours.

Just a quick of question...how many appointments do you think it will take to get a diagnosis? The Vet Center here tells me get the diagnosis before using them for therapy.