VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer) Moderates Thoughts

Rate this question

KySoldier

Question

Hello,

I need advice and help. While in the military I had Kidney stones and was admitted to a hospital. Fast forward to 2012 and developed Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer) and had to have the same kidney removed.

Do you think this is/could be service connected ? Should I file a claim ?

One of the MOS's I had in the military was as an X-Ray Technician.

Is there any former X-Ray technicans out there that have developed Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer ) ?

Thanks.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Manning01 for the information and advice. Glad you won yours !

I forgot to add to my post about when I had my C&P for the renal cancer that the VA found in a CT scan within a month of my retirement. First of all the Dr was like 75years old and a retired internal medicine Dr that the VA contracted not a urologist. He said that my RCC was from smoking, drinking and being too fat and was not present while I was in the service even though it was found within a month of my retirement. RCC doesn't grow overnight or in a few weeks it take many months to grow. Anyways I was always under my max weight in the military 170lbs at 5'9", rarely drank and never smoked. It's in my SMR physicals etc to back up all that about me and he still wouldn't listen. So beware I noticed from other RCC denials they all tried that same angle of a accepted etiogy of smoking, obesity and alcohol to deny SC of the RCC. I guess that is how they look at us all as a bunch of fat drunks that smoke and trying to game the system to live off the gov't really sad to be profiled like that. That is why if you can afford to be be seen by an outside urologist to fill out the the DBQ do it and get an IMO from him or her if they will do one for you. Am I jaded against the VA C&P Docs sure I'am. I'll be the first to admit it since they have given me great cause to doubt thier qualifications and intentions to helps us vets.

Edited by manning01

"Am I jaded against the VA C&P Docs sure I'am. I'll be the first to admit it since they have given me great cause to doubt thier qualifications and intentions to helps us vets."

Me too. Jaded, fed up and angry when I pull out all of my old VA crapola and read many lousy C & Ps that I had to overcome.

These lousy C & P exams we get (some are too speculative and deficit from the git go or they involve a VA opiner who doesn't have any experience at all in the field of the disability they are opiningg on) are one of the biggest problems of the backlog ,as they keep claims in the appeals system ,ad finitum, knowing full well that most veterans cannot afford an IMO from a real doctor.

With VA's new idea of private care appointments, why cant they extend the C & P process to really independent C & P examiners...QTC isnt independent at all.

oh I know why.....vets might get a fair shake on their claims that way.

Hello Berta and Manning01,

Here is what I received from the VA:

Your compensation claim was processed under the Fully Developed Claim Program.

What We Decided.

We determined that the following condition was related to your military service, so service connection has been granted:

DECISION : DDD lumbar spine (previously rated as compression fracture residuals, L1 and T12) Percent Assigned: 20% Effective Date : June 12, 2013.

EVIDENCE :

+ Previous Rating Decisions, and all evidence contained therein

+ VA Form 21-0820 Report of General Information, dated June 12, 2013

+ Private treatment records, Rockcastle Regional, from June 30, 2008 through June 18, 2013

+ VA Form 21-526EZ Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits, dated June 28, 2013

+ VA Form 21-4138, Statement in Support of Claim, received June 28, 2013

+ Veterans Claims Assistance Act (VCAA) Letter, dated July 15, 2013

+ VCAA Notice Response, received August 21, 2013

+ VA Examination, Lexington, dated February 13, 2014

REASONS FOR DECISION

Service connection for DDD lumbar spine (previously rated as compression fracture residuals, L1 and T12).

We have assigned a 20 percent evaluation for your thoracolumbar spine based on:

+ Forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 30 degrees but not greater than 60 degrees. (I can't even tie my shoes, they stay laced)

+ Localized Tenderness not resulting in abnormal gait or abnormal spinal contour. (I walk with a limp from the pain on my left back and hip)

+ Combined range of motion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 120 degrees but not greater than 235 degrees

+ Intervertebral disc syndrome with no incapacitating episodes during the past 12 months (I have missed over 23 days this year because of my back)

ADDITIONAL Symptom(s) include:

+ Painful motion upon examination

+ X-ray evidence of arthritis

Here are the Radiology/Doctor's Reports -

EXAM DATE: 6/18/13

EXAMINATION: LUMBAR SPINE, 5V (Does anyone know what 5V means?)

HISTORY: LOW BACK PAIN, LEFT HIP PAIN

COMPARISON: 6/30/08

FINDINGS:

There is progressive disc space narrowing at L3 - L4 where there was a disc herniation in MR lumbar spine 6/30/08.

Mild facet degenerative changes at L4 - L5 and L5 - S1. Probably chronic minimal loss of height at the upper end of plate of L1.

IMPRESSION:

Moderately severe disc space narrowing at L3 - L4. This is where there was a disc herniation in MR lumbar spine 5 years ago.

EXAM DATE: 7/03/13

EXAMINATION: MR LUMBAR SPINE

HISTORY: LOW BACK PAIN

FINDINGS:

The current evaluation was correlated with recent lumbar spine x-rays 6/18/13, lumbar spine x-rays, MR 6/30/08.

As noted recently, the primary locus of disc degenerative changes is at L3 - L4. At that level, there was a herniation in June 2008.

As a result of developing facet arthropathy, from the posterior direction within the foramen on the right at L3 - L4, exacerbated by the

presence of the chronic broad-based disc protrusion, there is now right neuroforaminal stenoisis looking at sagittal image 10, compared with previous sagittal image 10. Another bulging disc at L4 - L5 is stable.

Additionally, seen at the upper margin of the image, there is a new disc protrusion at T10 - T11. This is seen in sagittal T2 weighted image 5.

IMPRESSION:

No new findings within the lumbar spine. As a result of the chronic bilateral broad-based disc protrusion at L3 - L4 and the evolving facet arthropathy at that level, there is right sided foraminal stenosis of a greater degree than in the 6/30/08 MR of the lumbar spine. This is a matter of degree.

In the lower thoracic spine however, incompletely visualized in the current examination, new since 6/30/08, there is what appears to be a broad-based disc protrusion near the midline at T10 - T11.

EXAM DATE: 6/30/08

EXAMINATION: MRI LUMBAR SPINE

HISTORY: LOWER BACK PAIN

FINDINGS:

There are bilateral large herniations within the neural foramina at L3 - L4, right greater than left, associated with superior extrusions across the midline within the canal. The rest of the examination is normal.

IMPRESSION:

Significant herniations with mass effect on the neural foramina, bilateral, right greater than left, at L3 - L4, in addition to left mechanically significant superior midline and bilateral paracentral extrusion at the same level with the canal. neurosurgical consulation may be beneficial.

The current evaluation is correlated with lumbar spine x-rays.

When I had my C & P exam, the first thing the P.A. said to me was, " Do you have your medical records and reports with you" ! She didn't take into consideration the chronic constant pain (7 - 8) I am in. Nor the inability to sit or stand for longer than 15 minutes at a time. I can no longer lift weights over 15 - 20 pounds. I have already missed 23 days this year.

I am lost on what I should do or what my next step is. Do I have a case In appeal ?

Edited by KySoldier

You can appeal any decision, even an award letter.

Go to the VA Schedule of Ratings here and compare your current symptoms from this with the rating schedule.

Did the VA mention the DeLuca factor regarding pain in the decision?

Hadit site was not working for a few days so there was delayed responses here and a few posts were lost.

I need to remind all that we are unpaid volunteers here and most of us have a lot of additional time constraints so sometimes replies dont come fast.