VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Attack And Working Through The Va System

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Good Morning!

I had a heart attack on the 24th of May and ended up with a single stent. After researching why it happened to me I found the AO tie-in (I was a medic in Viet Nam for a year with the Infantry 1969-70) and filed for disability soon after (a couple of weeks later) with the DAV as my rep. I have my C & P this Monday and will see what I get. I am on meds for the rest of my life so I guess I'll get at least 10% with the METS testing results possibly getting more.

Some of the threads on this forum are heartbreaking with some of the crap veterans are going through with their health through no fault of their own. My own health isn't anywhere as bad and I feel like a wimp compared to some of you but did want to report my efforts to get disability for someone just starting out and not knowing how to start.

I guess this whole process is going quickly...heart attack in May with a C & P Monday. I did submit a Fully Developed Claim (Discharge Summary from the hospital and also gave them my in-patient records from that admission and my DD-214 proving my time in VN) so for me, that seemed to speed up the process.

I'll let you all know on Monday how things went with the C & P!

I would not let the VA care for my cardiac condition. Get the best cardiologist in town. ..

Actually there are good cardiology locations in the VA, specifically at Boston (West Roxbury, AKA WX). I've been in there frequently (last was a double stent in August) and IMHO they are well above anything else. At least at WX they are using doctors from all the Boston hospitals.

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing with the VA is you never know who will be doing your surgery or looking at your heart problem. Pick you own cardiologist in private sector. Not all MD's are created equal. I had new surgery for Sleep Apnea that VA did not support or offer. Now no more CPAP. I sleep better and feel better. It was worth it. I did my own research.

VA would not even do dental implants for me nor cataract surgery and lied to my congressman about it. VA cannot be trusted.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually, my Primary Doctor at the VA told me it would be a big mistake to transfer to VA Cardiology...he wasn't impressed with the caliber of care at the local VA Hospital.

Believe the PCP!

The closest VAMC has two "Cardiologists that they haven't put on the VAMC's web site. One cannot help but wonder why.

As far as I can find out neither is a qualified interventional cardiologist. To the best of my knowledge, the VAMC

is not qualified to support interventional cardiology, and refers veterans elsewhere.

If that isn't enough, One of the VA "Cardiologists" goes by Dr. Doctor and wears dreadlocks.

Dr. Doctor is obviously not the doctors true name. I did find records that showed an earlier assignment to another VAMC,

and a record of a malpractice suit, possibly under another (true) name. To confirm the results of web information,

I'd have to go further. Since I have no desire or need to see either doctor, I'm not going any further.

The other's last name and state of license, School, etc. match a doctor that is older, and supposedly is still in practice

at a far removed location. The school is supposedly well regarded, although it's not in the US. There may be a father son relationship somewhere in this.

Edited by Chuck75

Congratulations mcarter985. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did you file for. I am currently helping a Vietnam Vet file a claim and searching through his records (civilian) I see that he has had cardiovascular disease and has also had a stent placed. I'm trying to make sure I use the correct terminology on his claim.

Any information from anyone will be helpful. What other things should I be looking for as far as claims for Vietnam Vets. I know PTSD is a big one. Lots of vets are too proud to admit they have issues with PTSD. I honestly don't know how you could return from any war without some mental health conditions.

Your thoughts.

Thanks HadIt. You all are the best.

Coronary Artery Disease is considered Ischemic Heart Disease. Viet Nam vets who were boots on the ground or served on the inland waterways of Viet Nam are presumed by the VA to have been exposed to Agent Orange. Any Viet Nam vet presumed to have been exposed to AO who later develops Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD) or one of several other diseases listed on the AO presumptive list would be entitled to disability compensation. You can go to the VA website and find a list of AO presumptive diseases for Viet Nam veterans.

See 38 CFR 4.104 diagnostic codes 7005-7007 for more info on IHD related cardiac issues and disability ratings assigned based on the severity of the disease.

Good luck and thanks for helping the vet.

GP

Thanks so much georgiapapa. I appreciate the quick response. I have found that once I started reading all the information and trying to help others with claims the more I want to know. Unfortunately my mind sometimes does not absorb things as fast as I would like. I love this site because there is almost always someone at the ready to offer advice on where to look for further information. There is so much to learn about claims and I feel so good knowing (or feeling) like I have finally found something that really has my interest. It makes me feel useful that I can help someone or at least guide them in the right direction. I can feel somewhat productive and it keeps me going.