VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Attack And Working Through The Va System

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Good Morning!

I had a heart attack on the 24th of May and ended up with a single stent. After researching why it happened to me I found the AO tie-in (I was a medic in Viet Nam for a year with the Infantry 1969-70) and filed for disability soon after (a couple of weeks later) with the DAV as my rep. I have my C & P this Monday and will see what I get. I am on meds for the rest of my life so I guess I'll get at least 10% with the METS testing results possibly getting more.

Some of the threads on this forum are heartbreaking with some of the crap veterans are going through with their health through no fault of their own. My own health isn't anywhere as bad and I feel like a wimp compared to some of you but did want to report my efforts to get disability for someone just starting out and not knowing how to start.

I guess this whole process is going quickly...heart attack in May with a C & P Monday. I did submit a Fully Developed Claim (Discharge Summary from the hospital and also gave them my in-patient records from that admission and my DD-214 proving my time in VN) so for me, that seemed to speed up the process.

I'll let you all know on Monday how things went with the C & P!

Hi Godelocs...just happened to drive by here and found your post that Georgiapapa answered. I filed my FDC soon after my heart attack and just included my Discharge Summary Report with the claim. The VA scheduled me for a C&P within a couple of months and then the decision was made soon after (60% based on a METS of 3-5). Very fast process at least in my case.

In your buddy's case...Tinnitis is a no-brainer for a claim if he was exposed to firefights. Only good for 10% but every little bit helps and he may also have a drastic hearing loss. That was another real quick claim. In talking to my PCP after my heart attack he told me it was probably caused by a combination of both Agent Orange and stress caused by PTSD (I was a medic in Viet Nam 1969-1970). So, I also submitted a claim for PTSD and have been going to the Vet Center once a week since. That claim is still in process.

Your buddy may be hesitant to start the PTSD claim so you'll probably have to push him out the door. Personally, I wasn't too thrilled with sharing my experiences over there but the Vet Center guys are great and non-judgemental. In my case, I went to the VA for the diagnosis and then the Vet Center for help.

HADIT is my "go to" site for all things VA and it has been a great source of information. I think you're great to help a fellow vet start his journey in dealing with the VA and getting the benefits he earned and deserves.