VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Curous

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

Hello all,

In 2013 my neighbor committed suicide right in front me with a shot gun. I was already taking meds for depression and anxiety; however this made things a lot worse. I'm curious to know how the VA will see this if I ever have a C and P exam. Will they say smething like, "it happened outside the military and therefore we cannot link it to your current case." I am already a 100% Sc. What do you think?

vet2010

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

You said you were taking meds for anxiety and depression. I am assuming you are service connected for a mental health disorder. If your 100% rating is based entirely on the mental health disorder and your rating is P & T, I don't think witnessing the suicide will have any impact on your rating. However, if your rating for your mental health condition is less than 100%, the VA might try to use the suicide event to deny any future requests for increase in your mental health rating. If your mental health disorder worsens, the VA could say the suicide event is the cause. The VA will be looking for any reason to deny requests for future increases. I am not telling you to be deceptive or to lie at future C & P exams, just don't volunteer information that might harm your rating increase request. Just my opinion.

Good luck to you.

Hello all,

In 2013 my neighbor committed suicide right in front me with a shot gun. I was already taking meds for depression and anxiety; however this made things a lot worse. I'm curious to know how the VA will see this if I ever have a C and P exam. Will they say smething like, "it happened outside the military and therefore we cannot link it to your current case." I am already a 100% Sc. What do you think?

vet2010

leave that alone I wouldn't bring it up.jmho

If your SC'd for mental health and your symptomology increases,

enough to warrant a higher evaluation, for whatever reason's,

then you should get an increase.

This post is made in general as the OP is already 100%.

jmho