VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Guy - Really Need Some Help, Please...stressed To Death :(

Rate this question

traveler

Question

I recently retired from the Air Force after 22 years. First 11 in the Army, second 11 in the Air Force. 3X combat vet, 12 deployments..45 years old and worn out.

I have already sent in my FDC, it was received on 8 August and, according to EBenefits it is "gathering evidence".

so my questions are:

How can I keep my claim from being denied? I have OSA (sleep apnea) and have had it since 2012......it was done at a VA hospital and they did both the sleep study and the 2nd part where they put the mask on and up the pressure until I stopped having symptoms....sent me home with a resmed S9 and things got really good! No more falling asleep at 1300 hours. I have been told since I am reliant on a CPAP, I'll get 50%...but then I read about some guys getting denied! I've lost 30+ pounds since retirement, but my CPAP is still registering me needing it, so I would THINK they won't order another sleep study....

Can I expect that my C+P Doctor (my C+P's will be at the VA hospital) will try to trick me and try to negate everything I have claimed?

everything I have claimed is in my medical records.....

I have been counting on this disability as part of my retirement income, but I am so stressed about it, I'm thinking I should just not count on getting anything. Problem is.....I deserve the compensation!

I did a FDC with 10 items, and all are documented in my medical records....so if they reject my claim, I guess the only thing to do is appeal and hire an attorney which will put me in debt for who knows how long.

Any of you guys that have been through this and can tell me about it, I would really appreciate it. Having GAD and PTSD, all this extra crap to worry about is turning me into a shaking, nervous wreck!

Not to mention dealing with a system where the VA staffers seem to be in no hurry at all to do anything. Really sucks.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you for those long years of service!

"everything I have claimed is in my medical records....."

I assume you mean your military SMRs and I also assume you have a copy of them.

"I have been counting on this disability as part of my retirement income,"

That might well be the case, if you come under the CRSC or CRDP privisions:

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/comparing-crsc-and-crdp.html

We also have many other posts here and links to these programs as well as CRDPers and CRSC members.

"I guess the only thing to do is appeal and hire an attorney which will put me in debt for who knows how long."

Veteran attorneys dont get paid until you receive comp.

"Having GAD and PTSD, all this extra crap to worry about is turning me into a shaking, nervous wreck!"

VA will only diagnose one MH disability and will potentially diagnose you with PTSD, based on what you told us here,
if you fit into the post 2010 PTSD regulations in our PTSD forum.

"Any of you guys that have been through this and can tell me about it, I would really appreciate it."

Not a guy, a civilian, and a widow of 2 veterans, and I assure you that most of us here understand how you
feel because many of us are hardcore VA claimants.

Did you file the FDC within one year after your retirement date?

If so, the EED ( earliest effective date) will be the day after your discharge.

"irritating that the County VSO would say the average is 106 days start to finish, then the State rep would say no, a lot longer. What the hell?"

It all depends on many factors and no one really knows the answer to 'how long'.

NODs (a disagreement with a decision) used to take about one year for VA to deal with.

Mine has been pending over 700 days.

Mike and Barbamatt and the others who replied are right.

We all have been through these frustrations and just have to put up with it.

Do you have a county or state VSO helping you as your POA?

I figure this doesn't apply to you but ill throw it out there as I'm pretty bored today and been posting a lot today. I had a claim for PTSD and GERD which the first got approved and the latter denied but both were denied at first anyway. Ill explain. With a lot of conditions it seems the VA likes to say it existed before service. My Wife who spent 3 years in the Navy Reserves said that she got that line when she filed for sleep apnea. She ended up getting approved. But, point is with someone like you that has 22 years in you have documentation in your SMR. But hang in there you'll be in my prayers and I hope you get it. Thanks for your service. My Buddy Catfish retired from the AF he told me he could never trade his blues for army dress greens... Haha

Edited by Memory235

Okay tanks again.

I have a complete copy of my medical records, and everything I have claimed is in the records, so the only way the rater won't see it, is if they don't REALLY look for it....if they just quickly skim through them, I could see where they might miss something, but even then, I think the 10 items I have claimed should be suitably documented.

I'll feel much better once the C+P visits are over.

I have talked to a few guys that filed here in South Dakota and their claims went through without issue.

I went with a FDC because I was told by my VSO the B.D.D. claims weren't working as planned.

Thanks again.