VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Educational Benefits...

I just reached 100% P&T. My friend who is 100% told me that his child can get college paid for. I can only find in Chapter 35 a stipend monthly. Can anyone give me more info on this or what he told me not the truth.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We have lots of Chapter 35 info here such as:

The link there contains the pdf of the Chap 35 Handbook.

It is for dependents of 100% or TDIU P & T veterans or their survivors,if they die directly due to service connected disabilities.

The P & T status (Permanent and Total) is critical to this benefit as well as to CHAMPVA, the VA Health program for dependents (another fabulous benefit)

I never received a stipend. Voc Rehab vets get a stipend .(that is a totally different program)

I had to pay my tuition in advance each semester, then contact my VA counselor at the college who in turn sent proof of payment to the VA.

The VA based their payments to me on credit hours of my courses but it usually came out to an amount comparable to the tuition I paid.

We have lots of Chap 35 info here under a search and I am pretty sure I did a blog radio show or 2 on this benefit for dependents and survivors,available in our Hadit Radio show archives..

I think someone under Chap 35 might be able to apply for and receive a Pell Grant as well but I never did that...hopefully someone else here can advise on that.

My alma mater is here and can give you an idea via their financial aid program.
Maybe not the best example however, I was the only civilian when I went to AMU.
Lots of GI Bill info is at the site.

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.html

Chapter 35 extends the age requirement ( 26 years old deadline) by the length of any military service of the dependent.

Almost all colleges and universities are VA approved but that is something to check out right away on the net at the college's web site , for anyone eligible and interested in using this great benefit.

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, they only receive the stipend, unless they're in a state that helps pay(or free tuition)to children of deceased or disabled veterans. Each state varies.

Spouses and widows can also receive Chapter 35 bennies. This includes the new spouse, if you are divorced and remarry.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Agree with that. State benefits can vary, but sometimes are more generous than Ch35 and can also usually be used in conjunction with it.

Agree with advice given above, as I live in Texas and my Girls will be able to go to any instate College for free. Just remembered though, that I am under the Post 911 Wounded Warrior Program so that might make my situation a little different. Good luck