VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Pt 90% And Sheltered Employment At The Va As Medical Records Technician

Rate this question

Mingo

Question

OK long story

I am 90 SC% I was awarded TDIU in 2009 5 years ago. I was just recently awarded SC for a severe stroke that I suffered on active duty but was not diagnosed as such until 2010. The VA has lumped the Stroke in with my Sarcoidosis SC from being in Desert Storm the VA says that I do not have any symptoms from the stroke though I do, with dizziness, vertigo, some sort of seizures, anxiety, depression, forgetting, word searching,sometimes misspronounce words ect ect. bad tinnitus which I have 20% SC and have been told I have PTSD from military experiences by VA psychiatrists and am on Prazosin, Propranolo. Trazodone..but they keep denying SC for PTSD but anyway my point is I have residuals from a stroke but the VA c/p wil not give me credit.

I was declared disabled by SSA in 2010 diagnosed with cognitive disorder and other things...but the VA will not acknowledge any of the SSA diagnosisis

In the years following retiring from active duty I attended community college and with hard word and extra studying I completed an AAS Degree in Health Information Technology HIM and later pased the RHIT Exam. So, I was stuck in cleaveland ohio alone, divorced living like a hermit except for when I would go to the bars and drink several times a week. I was divorced from my Cental American Wife in 2008 due to PTSD and sleep disorders, I accidentally struck her with my elbow while I was having one of my nightly nightmares....I was deploying constantly to all parts of the world constantly. In my 40s I found myself totally and completely alone passing holidays, birthdays, summers, alone litterally not having any contact with other human beings except for people in the bars and Mexican restaurants so, I had to do something. I could no longer perform the work I did while on active duty due to problems with past back surgery, 2 herniated discs in my neck and a limp from sciatica..

So, I applied for a job at the VA as a Medical Coder reading electronic health records seated at computer all day which is sedentary, no lifting, but is hard on the back and neck....it is pretty high stress sitting at a very small cubicle on a productivy schedule.

I was hired at the VA in 2013 and I sent notice to the RO and was told I would have a 12 month trial period....during that time I suffered several severe anxiety attacks and was hospialized for a possible TIA/stroke. The environment at the VA is very dry, stressful and co workers are not nice almost seem like people from he movie Chidren of the Corn......many do not acknowlede fellow Veteran employees wih SC conditions and some even act as if they do not like Veterans working there....when I was still new some of my co-workers would not talk to me, I would ask questions about simple issues and would be totally ignored......so, not a warm place to work at all. But I needed to do something wih my life other than drinking in dark, gloomy bars all day.

During this time I had a C/p Claim in progress and it was completed this past August I was awarded SC for my stroke but it was combined with my already existing Sarcoidis SC diagnosis so no change in that raing I was also awarded 30 % increased for radiculopathy from neck/arms but my overalll combined rating remained at 90%.

The statement says "Your monthly benefit payment amount will continue unchanged" which I recieve amount for 100% TDIU P/T since 2009. The VA said in the SOC that they reviewed all of my statements that I sent about my TDIU but makes no mention of that issue. only that "Your monthly benefit payment amount will continue unchanged" It is possible that I am working in a Sheltered Environment. My case workload at work is adjusted due to me I belive not being able to concenrate, I have severe tinnitus and it is hard for me to read and focus especially if here is any noise from the disruptive employees.

I sent a question to the VA last week via IRIS in regards to my TDIU but have not heard back.

Edited by Mingo

• HadIt.com Elder

jbasser or John 999

I think one you mention sending in an employment questionnaire every year? to let them know your not working...I use to send it in every year after I got my TDIU P/T with no future exams...I got a letter From My VARO bout four years ago and they said I don't have to send in the questionnaire ..So I stopped sending them that's been about 4 years ago or so I been getting TDIU now for about 14 years.

Now here is what kinda worrys me I turn Retirement Age this year so I filed for my SS Retirement (on the years I did work prior to my sc disability's so I never had the full aledge years the SS requires...My wife happen to land a good paying job about 5 years ago and makes A Heffty income...they take out her own taxes ect,,ect,,

Well what worry's me is the SSA told me in a letter if our combined income is over 32.000.00 year then I have to pay tax on my SS Retirement. (my wife makes that alone) & I realize my VA Comp is non taxable.

I just hope the VA don't see I pay taxes and think I'm working??..I know how the VA can mess up things for the Veteran..do either of you guys know what will happen? I maybe worrying for nothing..but you guys seem to be the ones to ask about stuff like this .

As Fellow disable veteran I slute you guys...

Thank you both for helping our Veteran's.

Edited by britton

a vietnam vet who has done work for my slumlord received Iu from the VA and continued working. he got caught and they took it away from him. according to the slumlord, he appealed and got his IU back. i find that hard to believe but there it is.

i was awarded IU 3 years ago. in my award letter, it said i could do meanial work if it didn't succeed a certain amount, maybe it was the poverty level i don't honestly remember.

i would ditch that job ASAP! you are asking for trouble and a giant headache.