VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cue Or Appeal

Rate this question

ctbenja1015

Question

I got my "white" envelope, guess brown is out of style now. I was declined for DJD of Cervical spine(not service connected). Reasons were:

1. The evidence shows that cervical spine arthritis existed prior to service. There must be objective evidence of worsening of a pre-existing condition in order to establish service connection by aggravation. There is no evidence that the condition permanently worsened as a result of service.

2. VAMC exam conducted on August 18, 2014, notes that you were treated for and diagnosed with DJD of the cervical spine with radiculopathy on March 20, 2009, which was 5 months prior to your active duty service of August 4, 2009.

3. VA exam conducted August 4, 2014, notes that your cervical spine arthritis was not aggravated by your military service,

Facts

1. excerpt from C&P exam: 2. Medical history
------------------
Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's cervical spine (neck) condition (brief summary):
veteran had sustained a vehicle accident while on orders 5 months before he deployed in Iraq ,it was a rollover accident. he was stationed in
Wisconsin
and he believe he had normal cervical spine X-ray they were reporeted normal, without a fracture and it's only during deployment in 2- 3 2010 that he complained of bad neck pain and numbness in hands in Monterey VA in 2014 they had X-rays of his shoulders and was told that
his issues were coming from his neck , he had neck arthritis ; he was sent to TMC while in Iraq and complaining of his neck and was told that neck was
ok to continue his duties and he did current symptoms are constant 6/10 pain , and if turns his neck shoots to a 8/10 and disrupts his sleep. Re his MOS he was in transportation with lots of driving heavy truck and as well a s lifting daily about 35- 50 lb. daily plus all they usual weight they had to carry on ther back.

TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Direct service connection

OPINION : Direct service connection

Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of (a)neck condition that is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurred in or caused by
(the) long term wear of ACH and poor road conditions while serving in Iraq? Rationale must be provided in the appropriate section.

c. Rationale: REVIEW OF VISTA WEB 3/20/09 SHOWS EVIDENCE OF THE ROLL OVER ACCIDENT; C SPINE X-RAY WERE TAKEN AT THE TIME WITH EVIDENCE OF MILD DDD AS WELL AS EVIDENCE OF WHIPLASH INJURY AS TYPICAL REPORTED FINDINGS WHICH IS A
RISK FACTOR FOR CHRONIC NECK ISSUES AND DJD/ DDD WITH RADICULOPATHY

No exam notes in my record show it was not service connected, no exam on August 4, 2014

They were given my detailed record of retirement points to verify any active duty or drill dates.

Thoughts?

Edited by ctbenja1015

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

A reservist has 48 drill dates, theses are our normal monthly drills they are known as UTA's or MUTA's, Unit Training Assembly or Multi-Unit Training Assemblies. Each UTA/MUTA is equal to one day of Active Duty Pay, with each full day worth 2 UTA/MUTA. All additional training will have either Individual our Group Active Duty Orders. These orders are the same as active duty, however unless they run more than 30 consecutive days they are for pay only, no additional benefits (insurance, TSP, etc.). I was at a Movement Officers School at Ft. McCoy, WI when the accident happened. She was explaining that due to this accident, which was LOD, the progression of the DJD and Radiculopathy was to be expected after having mild DDD and whiplash. Yes, I am willing to get an IMO, or due whatever is necessary. I also have a Medical Evaluation and Statement of Status, which is signed by my commander and an MD for COB Speicher stating that my shoulders and Neck were LOD and expected to need further treatment and cost to the Military.

VA is giving him the bum's rush on one and only one facet. The accident occurred during reserve training-not ACDUTRA. If he had been on Uncle Sam's dime, it would be service connected. That it occurred during training with his local unit in cheese head country absolves them of governmental responsibility. VA is not questioning the legitimateness of the claim-just the actual status of the person when it occurred. Big difference between between a training accident and one that occurred during deployment. If it didn't occur during ACDUTRA, then it cannot be SC even if it got progressively worse while deployed. That's how the regulations read currently. An interesting case for the CAVC or CAFC to ponder. I say he should appeal it and get a really good law doggie. One thing it most definitely isn''t is CUE. Wrong Forum.

Clear Prop

So, this isn't the same situation as Andref here:?

"Yes, I am willing to get an IMO, or due whatever is necessary. I also have a Medical Evaluation and Statement of Status, which is signed by my commander and an MD for COB Speicher stating that my shoulders and Neck were LOD and expected to need further treatment and cost to the Military. "

I thought LOD meant Line of Duty,regardless of type....?

Our IMO forum here has the info that a solid IMO needs. But why if VA still questions when the accident occurred, as to AD status?

I would sure fight this if I were you!

Edited by Berta

Berta-

Remember the CAVC case (1991-92?)of the New Mexico Guardsman called up to do duty somewhere during a forest fire in N.M? He was injured while on state guardsman duty-not on ACDUTRA. He won initially but lost at the CAFC when it was determined he was called up by the NM Governor and not the US Government. Thus his injury was not SC via VA. I think this is what they are hanging him on. An old Traffic song comes to mind with a slight change of wording- "Make your own noose up if you want to/Any old noose that you think will do."

Win or Die.

Found it. See attached. Screwed up the facts but got the gist of the decision. Brain death is a terrible thing to waste. That's why I share it whenever possible.

Allen.Key.issued.pdf

Edited by asknod

Asknod, thanks for the input. In my case as a reservist whether it is Battle Assembly(drill), Active Duty for Training or Active Duty we are covered the same, as we are always under the Federal Government. For example my plantar fasciitis started from a drill weekend at a best warrior competition. I just believe they only read the nexus that is not as descripted as the history where it states I was on Active duty when the accident occurred. Also they state that I was diagnosed as having DJD with radiculopathy on 3/20/2009, however it actual states that I had mild DDD and whiplash which caused it to develop into DJD and Radiculopathy. I just wasn't sure, as I am new to the system, whether it would be CUE or just an appeal since I actually don't have new evidence, just need them to read the material more carefully.

Edited by ctbenja1015

Roger that. VA tries so hard to adjudicate the wrong thing and ignore the obvious as you may or may not have learned yet. I've had them take Porphyria (from AO in SEA in 70) and turn it around to say I wasn't there (in Vietnam). Same for the HCV. I never had it in service. What I filed for was Porphyria secondary to HCV or, and great big OR, it was due to Agent Orange. After finally admitting proof of being there, they immediately said it had no bearing on their denial. They never adjudicated it on a direct basis (Combee v. Brown)This is the convoluted logic that will dog you all the way to the CAVC. Once there, they all say "Man. What are we doing here? Let's do a Joint Motion for Remand back down to your VARO where we can start all over on a brand new denial."

Build your case and pack all that evidence in there now. Drive it home again and again. It pays off but takes time.

Clear prop