VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dead Vet Cancels And Re Schedules Appointment

Berta

I get this stuff almost everyday....

this story has been updated:

The above Marine's mother stated:

"Heads need to roll and butts need to be fired!"

The IMO she obtained states:

"Following a review of Buisman’s medical records, New York University Professor of Neurology and Epilepsy Center Director Dr. Orrin Devinsky, concluded, ”It is my medical opinion …that more rapid referral to a neurological would have prevented his death.” Devinsky added there is “more than a 50% chance he would be alive now” had Buisman been treated “more expeditiously.”
In part from:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/09/25/heads-need-to-roll-and-butts-need-to-be-fired-a-deceased-veterans-mother-recounts-va-nightmare/

The Blaze is staying on this story and added today that:

"According to a spokesman for the Minneapolis VA facility, an internal investigation was never conducted. Following, KARE-TV’s initial report, however, the VA Office of the Inspector General sent a team of investigators to Minnesota to find out exactly what happened and whether Buisman’s untimely death could have been prevented."

Yeah right.....

VA has procedures in place for documenting any deaths that might involve unusual circumstances. They are even supposed to document known medication errors and other procedural errors that could harm veteran who received the wrong type of care, or an omission of proper care.

Does VA do that in every case? Hell No.

I wonder if the IG report will say the results were not conclusive.The IG is a watchdog but has no power beyond that. IG can suggest corrections to deficiencies but they are ill equipped to really opine on any death of a veteran that could be due to lack of proper VA medical care.

We MUST be our own Watchdogs! If something seems wrong in our care we must take steps to find out if something is really wrong.

As I mentioned on some of the radio shows we have done,. and here, make sure your spouse understands your medical conditions and your medical records and is prepared to be your best advocate if something happens that VA must address if you are so ill you cant.

My husband would have died much sooner if I had not confronted his doctor after his stroke, that she was trying to tell me was just an inner ear infection.
After he was transferred to Syracuse VA, that same day , I had another royal battle (which he helped with too but was really too ill to do it by himself) because the VA docs in Syracuse said he would never walk again. They were too lazy to order PT.

Then again they had already noticed the prior VA malpractice so I guess they hoped he would die ASAP. I raised hell and got him PT and speech therapy and he sure walked again. And he recovered enough to dictate to me his 1151 claim.

And told me to continue that claim if he died ( 6 hours before he suddenly died)awarded in part 3 years after his death (DIC)and then almost properly awarded under CUE claim in 2012 and pending now for 21 months of additional 100% under 1151 plus SMC.the VA forgot to pay.

This Minnesota Marine's mother is willing to speak her mind and she has filed a FTCA case.Based on the IMO she got, I am sure she will win it

Edited by Berta

Another example of disgraceful behavior by the VA. I do not have much faith that anything really significant will ever come out of any of the VA OIG investigations.

The VA needs drastic sweeping changes in policies and personnel which need to occur immediately. Unfortunately, nothing happens immediately in the federal government, especially when it involves changing long standing policies or disciplining employees. Disciplining federal employees is a long drawn out process and firing an employee is almost impossible unless they are a probationary employee in their first year of employment. JMO

• 6 months later...