VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Throws In The Towel !

Rate this topic

banchie

Hi, as some here know after a 39 year paper battle with the VA I won my 100% PTSD claim. I was at 30% disability, then I got a C&P exam that bumped me to 50%. I immediately appealed, and using the only evidence I was allowed to submit (Three witness letters of behavior), I was given the 100% disability rating with NO further C&P exams.

Well it just got better. I had a heart attack in 1997 in a VA Rehab program & I have contended that according to the Code I suffered an "injury" and should be compensated. Although the VA finally paid the bill well over $100,000. for surgery, they have been denying that they held any responsibility. The DAV has notified me that the VA has now accepted responsibility, "Service connection for ischemic heart disease, status post-coronary artery by-pass, congestive heart failure and ischemic myopathy is granted with an evaluation of 100% effective March 2005."

The VA also caved in and recognized "entitlement to special monthly compensation based on housebound criteria being met is granted from December 29, 2005."

I doubt the VA would have given in without me having won the 100% PTSD claim in the first place. Ultimately, when I die from heart related problems this will insure my wife is taken care of. The 100% also means I am now entitled to some medical treatments previous denied by the VA.

Edited by banchie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, as some here know after a 39 year paper battle with the VA I won my 100% PTSD claim. I was at 30% disability, then I got a C&P exam that bumped me to 50%. I immediately appealed, and using the only evidence I was allowed to submit (Three witness letters of behavior), I was given the 100% disability rating with NO further C&P exams.

Well it just got better. I had a heart attack in 1997 in a VA Rehab program & I have contended that according to the Code I suffered an "injury" and should be compensated. Although the VA finally paid the bill well over $100,000. for surgery, they have been denying that they held any responsibility. The DAV has notified me that the VA has now accepted responsibility, "Service connection for ischemic heart disease, status post-coronary artery by-pass, congestive heart failure and ischemic myopathy is granted with an evaluation of 100% effective March 2005."

The VA also caved in and recognized "entitlement to special monthly compensation based on housebound criteria being met is granted from December 29, 2005."

I doubt the VA would have given in without me having won the 100% PTSD claim in the first place. Ultimately, when I die from heart related problems this will insure my wife is taken care of. The 100% also means I am now entitled to some medical treatments previous denied by the VA.

banchi:

What state are you from?

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

Banchie

I am thinking you may be entitled to a higher level of A&A than just housebound. Do you need help with basic tasks of living like getting around and bathing and dressing yourself? Do you have anyone who stays home to take care of you like a wife or GF? I don't believe( yes, I really do) that the VA tried to not take responsibility for the heart attack since you were doing the Voc Rehab. Did not they give you a physical exam to see if you were up to it? If you had died from the attack they would have stonewalled your spouse. What sorry, cheap jerks.

WOW- it is hard to get them to consider Voc Rehab as a potential environment for an "injury"-so you did VERY well there Banchie-

Sure- As John said- you might be considered for a higher level of SMC than housebound.

OK_ They give you 100% for the PTSD and then granted 100% I assume under Section 1151?due to injury?

Not to be newsy but this is what my SMC CUE claim is on-

100% SC PTSD and 100% Section 1151 disabilities that VA caused= SMC.

how do they compensate you? Do you get two checks and are they both at the 100% rate?

• HadIt.com Elder

OUTSTANDING Most veterans would have thrown in the towel, I SALUTE you for not doing it, I am still having that same argument, I want my heart problems SC before I quit messing with them, I am 100% P&T for PTSD now the heart I am only 51 yrs old, and have had a stroke at 39, triple bypass at 41 and in a power chair at 47 so I have nothing to lose by keep fighting them, aqfter 7 heart attacks what do you think is going to kill me prematruely? a heart attack most likely is my bet...so I am like you I will keep fighting them I just got a letter from the VA Saturday that I have been trying to get for 4 years

Notification from them that DOD has notified them that I am one of the 7120 men used in the chemical weapons and drug experiments from 1955 thru 1975 at Edgewood Arsenal. I hope this convinces them to SC my heart problems now.

I admire your tenacity, you will give great inspiration to other vets to keep fighting......