VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

L5-S1 Radiculopathy...

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I am curioius about something that is bothering me. I do have L5-S1 radiculopathy caused by OA. Yes I am one of those ppl who the VA has cursed to die on some waiting list on seeing a surgeon. So next week I am going to a private surgeon's office and if he says surgery should have been done or I need it then I am going to do my best to force the VA to pay for the surgery. I want my quality of life back but the VA is hampering this.

My question is for those who have or had L5-S1 radiculopathy in both legs, feet and toes. I have the normal pain and numbness and the ice cold feet. But what is bothering me is if anyone of you who had these issues also caused the feet and toes to turn purple/blue when the ice cold comes on? It comes and goes with the ice cold feeling. My feet use to turn red with the ice cold but now they turn purple/blue.

Good news is the VA lied to me when they said there is no surgery. How is that good news? Well my brother in law just had surgery last week for L5-S1 radiculopathy caused by OA which in turned caused his L5 joint to become week and it fractured. The surgeon told him that they see this all the time with OA patients. Bad news is the VA didn't add the post views of my last TWO MRIs, this is the view of the BACK of the spine where they could see if there is a fracture.

Anyway I am going to pray and hope the surgeon can get me back on track.

My VA PCP is not help whatsoever. I seen me Friday and didn't have any explanation for the feet turning blue/purple when I sit down. I emailed Dr. Bash and asked him if L5-S1 radiculopathy would cause this and he replied YES but with not explanation.

I finally was able to drop the Humana Advantage medicare crap and was schedule for the facet blocks on 2/17. I am praying these will work because I am sick and tired of living like this (NO LIFE WHATSOEVER) and I am tired of taking these pain killers. I've been thinking of replacing the pain killers at night before I go to bed with a bottle of wine cooler. I don't drink and may have a wine cooler every 2 years or every year on my anniversary. But I think this may help my sleeping issues. I believe wine can be a good medicine if used properly and not used to just get drunk.

I also purchased me a testosterone booster (supplement) to see if I can gain some energy so I pray this helps.

ARNG the procedure your talking about just checks for disc herniations and I can't even think of the name right now. But, the VA doesn't do these anymore per my VA PCP.

After these facet joint blocks they want to try a rhizotomy if the blocks do not work. Right now I am willing to be used a guinee pig just to get treatment. If you know a doctor who is a test doctor let me know because I am willing to do anything right now!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I went for years without a DX for the pain at the base of my neck which radiates into my left shoulder. Nothing showed up on MRI or X-Ray. In 2011 at least 15 years after I started to complain about pain an MRI showed some stenosis at C-5. Even with that I could not get unanimous opinions on surgery. I went to excellent neurosurgeon and orthopods and they all disagreed with each other. One thing I did learn is that they can fix the problem and you will still have pain because by then nerves are damaged. I even had a surgery in 2004 because I was told it was my shoulder that was the problem. Now I have ruined shoulder and C-5 still causing pain. If think if I had nerves so impinged that I had numbness I would probably just go for it and get surgery, but what do I know. When it gets bad enough you will do whatever you think will help. There is always a doctor who will oblige you.

John

"Since my last post nothing has changed, feet still turn purple and get cold and they stay numb all the time. When low pressures/rain comes my toes start hurting really bad and the pain gets worse in the back of my legs and buttocks."

I have the same thing you have with some other issues as well. same symptoms, but my feet only go numb if I sit a certain way , if I stand too long they hurt and burn, and sometimes when I sit.

My back and leg muscles tense up so much sometimes, I can hardly get out of bed and walk. I have to stretch my legs out before I try to get out of the bed/ I also found out my irritable bowel issues are likely being caused by this spinal problem as the nerves in that area( L5 ] can signal a bowel movement. My gait has become shorter over time,. My pants dont stay straight on my waist, the gig line is always to the left, and it feel odd , just knowing things are out of alignment. lots of snap, crackle, pop, when I bend, (not rice crispies either)

there are several companies that are doing laser spinal surgery where they deaden the nerves, that are advertizing a free MRI review.

Might be something worth exploring.

I would really, really investigate that laser surgery. I was told by a doctor two days ago that those surgeries are not very successful and have very little medical evidence to back up the claims they make on TV ads.

I suffer from back pain and radiculopathy from that area, I also have had multiple surgeries from lam and disc removal, and now they want to fuse. So I brought this up to my neighbor that is also a trama doctor and he was very firm about that type of surgery (laser).

That is all of my experience with it so take that as it is.

Also, I dont know why but Crocs rubber sandals seems to eliminate some of the pain, I think it prevents some of the shock. If you can get the VA to give you a chirop appt, ask them if you can get the traction. they basically tie you to a table, then harness your waist, and a machine pulls at your spine., It stretchs you abt 3 inches, and takes the pressure off you vertebre. It feels wonderful for a while.

The electro stimulation, massage table, ect all help, if the va will do it it for you.

I had to pay for private chiro,m because the va told me it was for acute pain only, which is a lie.

Edited by 63SIERRA